Cornwall II vs. LaScala

Flason

I have a chance to get a set of '86 LaScalas locally but haven't gone to see/hear them yet. I want to know what some of the other board members thought about the difference between these two speakers. I did read the post below "Possible cornwall/laScala" trade, but I was hoping to get some more opinions. My Cornwall II's are from '87 if that helps any. Thanks.

Having once owned both Cornwalls, and LaScala's (not at the same time, however) I would see no advantage to replacing Cornwalls with LaScala's. In fact, you would give up quite a bit in the bass, more than you would think by looking at the specs.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

Hi,

Actually the post below about the trade was started by me. LaScala's and Cornwalls are totally different, yet excitingly similar. . .if that makes sense. I think the lascalas win hands down with almost any music, other than R+B/rap/hip-hop. With those styles of music, I really love the Cornwall's deep bass. BUT, if I had a subwoofer to go along with my lascalas, (maybe one of those SVS's or a Vel HGS-18!!) I think I'd be in speaker heaven. I'm pretty sure that either speaker will suit you well though.

Jeff

Well, I went to see them this evening. Turns out they were 86' Cornwall II's. Great guy selling them, but he was unsure what model they were and took a Sound Advice sales guy's word for what they were. The pair is in black laquer and in a little rough shape. All drivers appear OK. Part of me wants to ****** these things up, but I already have a flawless pair in oiled oak and am content with my Heresy's in back. Comments and suggestions welcomed.

This message has been edited by Flason on 12-19-2001 at 04:10 PM