Cheap tubes?

I've never owned a tube amp, but now that I will own horns I should ;). I'm looking for a stereo tube amp (not integrated) or a pair of monos to power my new Speakerlab K-horns. I want to start with something inexpensive. Does anyone have any recommendations?

-tim

Tim,

Welcome to the forum.

I was going to suggest an integrated amp as a good starting point to get into tubes. Going that route is generally less expensive because the preamp and power amps are in one box. If you decide to go with seperates, the best deal I know on a fabulous tube preamp is a Juicy Music Merlin. It is a linestage only, though, no phono section. It would work nicely with any power amp out there.

One other suggestion would be to check out the Cayin amps. They are also current production which have some plusses over vintage gear. I heard a Cayin amp at the Klipsch factory in Hope last year and thought the sound was very good.

What kind of budget are you expecting for your amp purchase?

Tim,

Excellent decision on this tube thingy!!! Have no fears with tubes. How much you willing to spend? The money part is important but just equally important as what kind of music you listen to mostly. Amps have their own charastics of sound. I'm sure someone on the forum has something nice in your price range that will fill your wants/needs. Integrateds are nice. I personally like seperates. Easier to play with when you roll around tubes. Besides tubes glowing around the room are kinda like candles. Now That's Sexy!!

HarryO

If you're thinking used, I'd buy from someone you know that's honest and will tell you about any issues or if anything should be done to it/them. Stick to this forum if possible. Great people willing to help in our little community.

Sorry guys, let me help a little more. These speakers will be used in a surround sound system that places great emphasis on 2-channel music. The reason I'm not looking for an integrated is because they will be connected to a Parasound Halo C2 processor. I listen to pretty much all types of music, and watch a fair amount of movies. I'm looking for something that will provide descent output, is pretty flat so I don't have to worry about what type of music, and if possible something for under $1,000 for the 2 channels needed.

-tim

what Duke said.....

An HT processor in HT mode would have a truer Ht sound stage if all the channels were simular in charcteristic's.

Having 2 channels running tunes, and the rest running SS, could throw your HT sound stage out of wack.

If I got the senerio wrong....and maybe your runnig 2 additional channels thru a tube amp and just turning your SS multi channel off when not in use...1000 bucks is plenty to buy a decent tube amp.

Once I set up the new speakers I plan on running a phantom center, and I'm not worried about the rear channels matching terribly. I will upgrade the center sometime soon. I may get a Heresy temporarily until I can either get help designing something custom to match the mains, or maybe find a split La Scala that I can run with. I will be looking at another tube amp at that time. I'm also eventually going to go with active x-overs as well at some point in the near future. This pair of tube amps is just a start.

So with all that said, what other specific recommendations in the sub $1K category?

-tim

if you are handy with a solder gun...build this kit...add some tubes...and you will have a new st-70 clone.

http://www.dynakitparts.com/store/product.aspx?id=2

if your not handy with a soldering gun....start a new WTB an st-70 thread.....wait for someone who has a used ST-70 that has been recently serviced.

there are also a few sellers on ebay that sell modified and highly upgraded st-70's....like this one...theses pop up often....this one is used and claimed to be re-built..

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIMITED-EDITION-Gold-Series-Dynaco-St-70-tube-amp_W0QQitemZ290121618431QQihZ019QQcategoryZ39783QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

in my experiance a pair of dynaco mark 3's will meet your needs quite well, 60 wpc should hold its oun with the rest of your gear power wise and give you the added detail and experiance of tubes they usually sell between 750.00 and 1200 for a refurbished pair but you have to be very dilagent as they dont set long on the low spectrum of price watch audiogon and e-bay, for what its worth my first tube experiance was a pair of dynaco mark 3's at garys house and they changed the direction of my system from that point on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe