Monster surge protector, good or no ? !

jdbrown82

"Huh?

Sure you can buy filters and clamps with varying degrees of efficiency. That was acknowledged and never contested, so I am not sure what the point is."

Neither do I....we were talking about surge protection...you introduced oil filters...there are metrics for both...a metric is a way of measuring performance. Once a metric can be identifed for consumer goods...shopping for a "good" one becomes easier.

The reference to an oil filter was an analogy - a metaphor. I will be more careful in the future utilizing such complex concepts.

Metrics are nice. A risk analysis helps determine if a particular solution is most appropriate for a given specific problem. That would be nice too.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Or do as others say plug the amp always into the wall directly? Your thoughts?" 

if I had the choice between solid state voltage regulation or directly in a wall, I would plug in the wall and use a line filter/surge suppressor. SS regulation is not a true sine wave.

if I had the choice between capacitor loaded transformers or directly in a wall, I would plug in the wall and use a line filter/surge suppressor. Capacitor based devices change the AC frequency.

if I had the choice between a variable transformer or directly in a wall, I would plug in the variable transformer device and and still use a line filter/surge suppressor.  If you go with a variable transformer device....look into 2X or even 3X of your total power needs, measured in VA's.

if you want surge protection...shop and compae the joules ratings.

some products have 30 jolues of protection....some have 480 jolues of protection......the more the better.

Voltage regulators have low joules ratings since their mission is voltage regulation....line conditioners have high joules ratings since their mission is filtering.

Also....the parts that provide joules protection waer out....after a few years...their joules ratings drop signifcantly...when they drop to zero...some surge protector's have a lED light that will no longer indicate protect.

I like all the various devices that folks put inbetween the wall outlets and their componets.....but....my take is that you should go down to home depot or lowes and buy some of those suge protection devices that look like circut breakers and install them in your breaker box. It's cheaper to replace that surge protection circut breaker than it is to replace some of our high end surge protection devices due to worn out MOV's and like componets.

the Monster Home Theater Reference HTS2600MKll has about 630 joules i believe it is. i have read some pretty good reviews on it. that should be plenty you think. either way i dant wait to get my new stuff next month(july)

I just bought a couple of these for around $35 each. They're built like a tank.

PFT uses varying power filter levels to isolate and contain power line noise within individual pairs of receptacle banks. It provides the highest-quality protection available from overvoltages, and safeguards your sensitive home entertainment components from power line contamination, known as electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI).

Advantages

4720 joules - highest-quality absorption protects your sensitive entertainment components from surges, spikes, and lightning

$300,000 Connected Equipment Warranty

12-Foot Heavy-Duty Power Cord delivers clean power through 14-gauge wiring; with straight plug

Power Filter Technology (PFT)-Isolates contamination to prevent AC and EMI/RFI to help provide quality sound and picture

Satellite, Cable TV, Antenna Coaxial Protection-Protects connected components with two pairs of gold coaxial connectors designed to improve signal; also protects cable modems.

2-Line/4-Pin Phone Line Protection with Built-in Splitter-Safeguards your single or two-line phone/DSL/ modems against backdoor power disturbances

Diagnostic Indicator Lights-Warns of power problem before equipment is connected

Lifetime Warranty

Dimensions: 4.5" W x 2.5" D x 13.5" H