Question for Vinyl Enthusiast's

tom b. 57

I picked up a Technics SL-Q3 turntable with a Pickering XL-35U cartridge installed. This cartridge is obviously very old, for I have not been able to find any info. on it. This turntable is not a high-end turntable. I purchased it for $40.00 and it is in great shape. I liked the automatic functions that are available on this unit and it is very simple. The thing operates just fine. The problem I have is that the stylus seems to pick up a lot of surface noise from the vinyl. More than I have ever heard before. Is this a symptom of an old worn-out stylus? Could this be that the stylus is just more sensitive than what I have been using on the HK T-60, (Grado)? The sound seems to be a bit tinny too. Not much low frequency reproduction. My hunch is that it is just an old worn stylus and I should replace the cartridge, unless this Pickering is a good cart.. I haven't got a clue about the performance characteristics of this cartridge. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe a suggestion or two on replacement cartridges. The XL-35U is a P mount cart., so I would imagine that I need to use a P mount replacement. I really don't know alot about this stuff. The price range is from 0-$200.00, preferably less than $200.00.

Tom

Sounds like you have a cartridge where the suspension is shot--the tinny sound and the massive surface noise you are experiencing surely point in that direction.

Buy a cheap replacement--this will never be a great rig and there's no reason to pop $200 for a new cartridge with little resale value.

Saying that, I really don't know where to point you--I have never owned a P-mount cartridge, but you might want to do a search over on the Vinyl Asylum, as this subject has come up quite a bit over the years.

I'll bet the stylus is worn or damaged..................cheaper to get new cartridge..............Allen is right, no sense in putting $200. cartridge in a head designed for P-mounts.........many choices under $100. for that Turntable...........Is the dust brush still on the Pickering? Take it off if it is, cut tracking force by 1 gram, and try that, but I bet your stylus is shot...........

i agree about the cartridge but would also suggest Are you cleaning the vinyl ??????? you would be very supprised how much noise a good cleaning can eliminate

Joe

Yes, I have been cleaning the vinyl. It just sounds like crap. Strange, because it didn't sound quite as bad at the sellers home. One of those things I guess!

Tom

I have a decent Technics turntable that is similiar to the ones being sold at kabusa.com. He uses Ortofon p-mount cartridges. The OMP-10, 20, and 30 all sound great.

You can buy the $50 OMP-10 and upgrade it with the more expensive 20 & 30 needle without changing the cartridge. Pretty unique in the cartridge world.

Excellent sounding too! The OMP-20 can be had occasionally on ebay for under $100. I am using that one now. A great buy. The OMP-30 is amazing.

I've had the first 2 and and they are both very decent cartridges.

Bob

Whatever you do, I sure wouldn't play any more of your vinyl with the Pickering. To me, a noisy cart like that means it's causing record wear, probably in practically no time at all. I actually assumed you weren't, but thought I'd say so just in case.

Whatever you do, I sure wouldn't play any more of your vinyl with the Pickering. To me, a noisy cart like that means it's causing record wear, probably in practically no time at all. I actually assumed you weren't, but thought I'd say so just in case.

Your assumption is correct. I played two lps and that was enough to tell me something aint right here. Thanks for the word of warning though. I actually knew after the first but thought I would try a second just in case. They weren't two of my favorites though.

Tom