"Down firing" subs (KSW-12) placement

Groomlakearea51

Treat it just as you would a front firing sub.

The reflections (within 1/4 wavelength) off the additional surfaces will provide additional 'room gain' as they act essentially as second sources.

Thus the most effective gain will be in the corner, then against one wall and last(least) in the middle of the room.

The biggest issue will then become room modes and the logistics of the nulls and peaks relative to your listening position and the the subsequent use of bass trapping to reduce boominess, effectively 'tightening up' the bass transients and dynamics..

I know that this sounds stupid (and it would be fun to have the video as blackmail), but if you are simply trying to place it in an optimal position without measuring and treatment, the simplest and best method is to place the sub in your listening position and to crawl around on your hands and knees at the same level and discover the position where the bass sounds best - and simply place the sub there.

This is also the best (albeit silly) suggestion for Roc as well with his sub placement issues. It looks stupid, but it works and doesn't cost you anything but your self-respect.

But a BIG Caveat! I would suggest doing this ONLY when none of the rest of the family is
around if you desire to retain any self-respect and the respect of your
family. And please make sure there are no video cameras or cell phones
with cameras available! Learn from Britny's and Lindsey Lohan's
misadventures!

[:P]

Again, as I cannot stress this too much, I would NOT allow your kids or especially your wife to see you doing this if you desire ANY peace in your life, as you will have it tossed back at you for the rest of your life!

[*-)]

And when your friends asked how you did it, you can simply mumble something about a TEF and superposition and modes and standing waves and widgets and thingamabobs and little men from Mars....

It looks stupid, but it works and doesn't cost you anything but your self-respect. I would suggest doing this ONLY when none of the rest of the family is around if you desire to retain any self-respect and the respect of your family.

Respect?? No worry on my end on that one.... My "Rodney Dangerfield" approach to sound seems to be the prevailing opinion most of the time anyways. [|-)] Why change now. Besides, it's a small village here in the swamp and who will take my place as the village idi... [:$]

This is also the best (albeit silly) suggestion for Roc as well with his sub placement issues. It looks stupid, but it works and doesn't cost you anything but your self-respect.

In my case it can also cost you a back strain. Mark you do realize that my f-113 weighs 130 pounds don't you? Moving it is like moving a Sumo wrestler.

Did I mention that it weighs 130 pounds?

As far as respect, it was lost when I started draping blankets and foam all over the listening room and began using ear plugs when I listen to music.

Respect for me is not even a concept in my home anymore.

Run down to Harbor Freight and get a small mover's dolly for $15 or (anticipating a second sub) a set of the Car tire dollies for $39.

Or, wait a minute. Isn't that what you have a wife for???

{Why do I suspect this is going to get me into more trouble than my mere reference to the existence of drummer jokes (and I didn't even get to tell one!) Heck, I should start a pool to see how many here even catch the joke! That ability is certainly not one of the site's stronger suits! }

Don't worry Richard, you don't even have to call Chloe, I've gotten the routine down and I'm headed for my corner...

In my case it can also cost you a back strain. Mark you do realize that my f-113 weighs 130 pounds don't you? Moving it is like moving a Sumo wrestler.

As far as respect, it was lost when I started draping blankets and foam all over the listening room and began using ear plugs when I listen to music.

Oh please...130lbs is nothing....I have to move a 300lbs sub...now that is HEAVY. I packed my f113 and took the box to the truck for the weak driver...(my faulty unit exchanged by JL).

Oh please...130lbs is nothing....I have to move a 300lbs sub...now that is HEAVY. I packed my f113 and took the box to the truck for the weak driver...(my faulty unit exchanged by JL).

You da Man!!![Y] Undoubtedly your strength approaches the mythical level [H], Must be the result of much libation [D]; pray tell? What do you imbibe (or use to sustain [pi]) such a capability? [:P] I tried packing my wife, aka: the F113, but she kept getting out of the box and whopping me upside the head.... [6]

OK, most of the kidding aside...

The easiest way to move the subs about the room is to tilt the unit and to slide a 'broken down' cardboard box under it. It should then be easy to grasp and to move about by sliding (over floors, rugs, dogs and small children, etc.) and no heavy lifting (just tilting) is involved. And it won't cost you a thing!*

Hey, I said most of the kidding aside! Yeah, the rugs might be an issue... [;)]

(*Heck, if you manage to catch a kid or two, it might just save you money!)

Apparently Arthur, you are a big hairy thing. You do know that lifting hernias do happen to people, don't you?

I cannot believe that JL Audio released a defective sub, but I guess that you would know. What was the nature of the defect?

You da Man!!![Y] Undoubtedly your strength approaches the mythical level [H], Must be the result of much libation [D]; pray tell? What do you imbibe (or use to sustain [pi]) such a capability? [:P] I tried packing my wife, aka: the F113, but she kept getting out of the box and whopping me upside the head.... [6]

You must have quite a few bruises by now.