Variac

tom b. 57

How important is a variac in regards to the life of a tube or a tube audio component? Are they worth owning? I can pick one up for $25.00. I've heard of people using them but not sure if it is essential or just something else electrical to play with. Is this a fair price? The thing looks quite old. It is an Ohmite brand.

Tom

Tom

I have a variac that I had before I purchased my MC240 and MX110, so I use it all the time. I've heard that it can extend tube life- that's why I use it. There have been discussions here on the variac experience. You can find some new ones on Ebay for around $50-60.00. Someone else will chime in with some scientific studies to tell you more...

KG

Tom,

$25 is a good price if it's in good working order. I'm not a tech type, but in my very lay understanding, a Variac is helpful in powering up old gear that has been sitting a long time. Has something to do with reforming caps by bringing up the current gradually. There seems to be mixed opinion among tech types.

They also have a wattage rating, so you would need to make sure one could handle the load you would want to connect to it.I have a big, heavy duty one that was originally used in a stage lighting system. I haven't used it for a while, but it's here when I need it.

Bruce

"How important is a variac in regards to the life of a tube or a tube audio component?"

I have the feeling you are asking about using a variac to bring your gear up slowly each time you power it on.......

I've used home made versions of these devices to test old gear that has not been powered up in a while.  

Before buying one....as others have said....you need to check the VA or watt rating of both the device and the gear you will use on.