Audio Nirvana

akirk

I'm probably not telling anybody anything they didn't know, but all CD's are not created equal. Sometimes you don't realize that, though, until you play a really great CD on your system, and realize how lousy a lot of the others are. I had gotten the Steely Dan CD "Two Against Nature" several weeks ago and had played it on my car system several times. I had thought that the CD sounded pretty darn good, but had never played it on my home system until yesterday. Wow! My Heresy's never sounded so good. It's just one of those CD's where the musicianship and recording are so good it makes you see where other CD's are lacking. Just out of curiousity, how about the rest of you out there? What CD's send you into "audio nirvana"???

I've always known that quality of recording between CD's vary, but this really became evident upon the acquisition of my Cornwall II's. The better your system is, the more it reveals - both good and bad.

My latest favorites are Phish's "Slip, Stitch and Pass" on audio CD and the Grateful Dead's "View from the Vault" DVD. These recordings are super clean and crystal clear, especially given that these are live performances. Both bands feature bass players capable of irritating the neighbors. The bass lines in both are so tight and firm (both Phil Lesh of the GD and Mike Gordon of Phish use Modulus basses which produce a unique bass guitar sound). Gotta love those "Phil Bombs" - (after hearing View from the Vault, you'll understand why I say that). It shakes my room, and the new subwoofer isn't even installed yet!

The subwoofer freaks in our forum should try these sometime. These recordings will knock the pictures off of your wall, with no additional bass attenuation necessary!

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 12-19-2001 at 09:07 AM