Hot Rod Merlin - it's me! Richieb

Linda Lou

When speaking with Mark about the best pre amp for my needs he was nice enough to give me heads up on the Hot Rod Merlin on epay. Sure enough one bid and I won (stole) the thing! Funny thing is I also have a Blueberry due in tomorrow. Never owned a tube pre prior to this and now I am knee deep in them. Let the shoot out begin, so one way or the other something will probably need to go. I use no vinyl so if the Merlin is close the BB may be odd man out. Juicy + VRD + Belle = priceless? We shall see!

One more thought,

I did extensive listening to the Peach and (stock of course) Merlin. I couldn't discern any difference in the sound. The Peach has more bells and whistles, but my favorite ended up being Merlin because it's such a cute little brick. In the rack it reminded me of the old Dyna preamps, kind of a form follows function champ, only more cool than Dyna because it's JM.

You are right Dee. The Merlin looks perfect between a set of Mark III's - not only size-wise but visually if your Mark III's have received the proper treatment. It has already received enough accolades regarding the sound so I need not go there.

One more thought,

I did extensive listening to the Peach and (stock of course) Merlin. I couldn't discern any difference in the sound. The Peach has more bells and whistles, but my favorite ended up being Merlin because it's such a cute little brick. In the rack it reminded me of the old Dyna preamps, kind of a form follows function champ, only more cool than Dyna because it's JM.

As a loyal Peach owner, I guess that I would have to respectfully disagree with Daddy on the Peach and Merlin sonic similarities. Yes, to my ears, the Blueberry (or original) stages of the Peach and Merlin sound very similar, with the bass on the Peach being a little (scosh) tighter to my ears. In contrast, however, the Peach's first mode or superloz mode has a more pronounced bass response and prominent extension on the top end than the Blueberry linestages in the Peach, Merlin, and Blueberry. It just sounds different. Some say better; some not. But, to my ears, there is a noticeable difference with the extra Peach linestage. I use and love both Peach linestages.

That being said, Ritchie - congrats on your hod rodded Merlin. I am officially jealous. I love all of Mark's preamps, and this one should be truly special.

Carl.

Congratulations on the sweet deal, I have an older model of the Merlin and compared it with the lastest version of the BBX last weekend. Have to say pretty substantial difference, so much so I have a BBX on the way. I thought the older Merlin was sweets, so I would guess the Hot Rod will be well worth the price you gave for it. You and somebody else is going to end up a great pre amp if you can only hold on to one. Take your time they both have their merits.

Tom