RB5II , not happy

sneakers

I just got a pair of RB5II and after playing about a week started to see what they could handle. I'm using a new Denon 2802. They just started to destort and couldn't handle the bass I thought they would. I haven't had a good system for a number of years but owned a pair of Cornwall for about 6 years in the early 80's. They would take what ever you threw at them. These don't get near what I want and I plan to return them this week. I want to stick with Klipsch but need speakers that will take some volume and stay clean. I'm wondering did I get a bad pair and will RF5's do the trick and are the RF's better than the RB's, whats the difference. Thanks for the help sneakers. Sorry for the double post. New here

The RB-5 is not going to offer performance similar to a Cornwall. Neither is any speaker of similar size to the RB-5. It is not possible for a small bookshelf speaker to deliver output and bass levels like a speaker many times the size with a 15" woofer. You are asking the impossible and it goes against the laws of physics.

You should most likely try some other brands to convince yourself of my statement. As the saying goes, "There's no replacement for displacement". If you want sound like a Cornwall, you have to get a speaker of similar size. The only other option is to use a speaker like the RB-5 PLUS a very capable subwoofer; AND limit the information sent to the RB-5 to around 60 Hz and above.

By the way, if you are hearing distortion from the RB-5's then you are most likely clipping the output of the amp. All amps clip when asked to deliver more power than they were designed to deliver. In amps with rotary volume controls, this happens somewhere between the 12:00 and 1:30 positions on the volume dial. Speakers HATE amp clipping. It is what kills the majority of damaged speakers.

You will be hard pressed to duplicate the slam of the Cornwalls that you are used to, unless you get back into Heritage series speakers. I first became knowledgeable about Cornwalls about 12 years ago, when a friend bought a pair. I spent several years trying to find a lower cost alternative that would produce similar sound - and it doesn't exist. I finally got satisfaction with a purchase of a set of Cornwall II's (used) a couple of months ago, and I am now satisfied.

I would suggest one of two options:

1. Get on ebay or your local newspaper ads and find a set of Cornwalls (running $700-1100). They are out there, and you can't find equal performance in any new speaker that I am aware of at that price. These are no longer manufactured new, but there is nothing wrong with used - these last for years.

2. If you need a bookshelf sized model, go with a set of Heresys with a subwoofer. Heresys are still in production, and also available used (average $500 on ebay and other places). You will still get that horn sound that you are used to, in a much smaller package.

You, my friend, have the "Heritage Bug". Once you get attached to Klipsch Heritage speakers, it becomes difficult to be satisfied with anything else. Perfectly normal - take two Heritage and call us in the morning.

cwm12.gif

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 12-19-2001 at 09:27 AM

quote:

Originally posted by BobG:

Speakers HATE amp clipping. It is what kills the majority of damaged speakers.

That is EXACTLY right -- although it's amazing how many people don't know that! It is not easy to "blow" a quality speaker/driver with CLEAN power (unless you are pushing some ungodly wattage).

quote:

Originally posted by BobG:

As the saying goes, "There's no replacement for displacement".

That's why I still have my set of really old (well 1977) Cerwin Vegas in the basement. Each speaker has a 15" woofer, a mid-horn and a hi-horn. They can really create some SPL!

This message has been edited by STL on 12-19-2001 at 06:41 PM