Tube question.........

I have a Scott 299-d...........for the phono section there is 4 12AX7 tubes ; 2 for each input......My question is, Do those tubes have to be in place for the Amp to work? Why leave them in if I'm not using the Phono section ? Seems a waste of tubes to me, but I'm asking anyway.............

...sorry, no help other than what the Duke has said...now if you had asked what is the better Tube to put in that spot or what color should you have the Scott 299 painted ;)...you would have gotten pages of answers by now...:D

Bill

Come on Harry, dust those things now and then..............

Ob,

I just picked these up a couple of weeks ago and I'm playing them out for a while to determine what I'm going to do with them. This is my second pair of Triad Monoblocks. These use the 6L6, 12AX7, and 5U4GBs. I stripped them out of an old Baldwin organ I picked up at a Church Yard Sale. $10 for a working organ.

They sound excellent. I like 6L6s for sound. Nice, smooth, and plenty of power. I'm looking for tubes for them now. I might have the tubes in stock. If not I'm working on a trade for a bunch of my old TV and Radio tubes with a guy I met on Ebay and he's checking his stock.

They will get polished up and looking good when I'm ready to put them into full time use.

I've got another pair with EL34s in them. I made wood cases and painted the chassis black. I love the sound of them also. The Triad trannys make nice noise.

Harry

Harry, those are nice amps. Wish I had found them for that price. I would love some 6L6 amps.

They do sound sweet. Totally quiet. No unwanted noise whatsoever. What's really amazing is that I just put the tubes on the tester and one of the 6L6s on each amp is totally dead. I don't have any 6L6s here and I'll buy a quad of Sovteks at IRC Music in the morning. I can't wait to hear them after the new tubes burn in about 50 hours or so.

Harry