More MCM Questions.

jwc

One set of my MSM's has the Gauss driver and I am thinking about replacing it, probably with the 1133, I'll ask Roy. Also, the MSSM bin would be pretty simple to build as it's all straight cuts (ok lots of angles) and the K41 is available.

And I brought home a pair of near minty KP682's (travelling verson of 684), so we have about everything we need right here to run all the tests you guys would ever want.

... That K41 10" is what MAKES the stack- there is so much critical music in that mid bass region that I don't know how the MCM ever functioned without it. Note that the modern MCM- Grand has a mid bass module also.

Just got around to reviewing this post...

I agree with Colter. It is hard to get below 500 Hz with a 1132 compression driver. The phase plug sits so close to the diaphragm that excessive excursion occurs. This is not good because the minute that metal diaphragm smacks the phase plug it can be "lights out" for the driver, besides it sounds real nasty when it slaps the plug. If the horn was much larger and loaded lower in frequency that would help but it isn't practical. You have to solve that "kick drum:" attack problem with more cone area, because you will be displacing a lot of air. Imagine how much air is moved when you kick a "kick drum". That is how much air you have to move with a driver at the same SPL as the drum. Thus a 12" is much closer to the real instrument. A 10" on a phase plug is my favorite. You get lots of snap from the attack because you have a big motor and a lot of diaphragm area.

Gee now I miss my EV MTH-2's...

Keep Thumpin!

I think the single driver is the way to go for that big horn. Not sure the reason why it was abandoned in favor of the maniford and 4x K55.

Wouldn't you have to think (based on the 'bubble' theory) that there would be one heck of a lot of turbulence and bubble bursting in the quad setup? Now that we have much better large drivers like the Kp1132 and 1133, I think that is definitely the way to go.

Hunter? Roy?

Michael

four of the k-55's on that 260 horn had alot more horsepower than the single driver and that manifold did a great job of summing the 4 drivers. paul's manifolds always impressed me and that is part of the wonder that lead me to the bubble thingy.

the k-1133 will work just fine on the 260. in fact we used to feature and mcm 3way grand system with was the mwm, the 402 with an 1133 driver and the grand hf.

in Christ, in God's grace,

roy

• 2 years later...