Denon 3801 or Marantz SR8000 AND Reference

Abogaert

Abogaert,

You may even want to consider the entry level Denon as it is much cheaper only in that it doesn't have on-screen programming (who cares), a backlit remote, and it has less power (60x5). With Klipsch speakers, you don't need lots of power anyway. Better to spend that money on better speakers or DVDs/CDs.

The Denon 681/1601 (same thing) can be found on the net for $300. Sears.com sells them for $399, but will match the lowest price you can find on the net. Best part is that Sears is an authorized dealer, and if you don't like it, take it back to Sears within 30 days. If you like it, keep it with it's 2 year Denon warrantee which Sears will service for you. Best of both worlds.

T-man

I'd go with the Marantz. I will admit that I'm biased though. I own the older brother to the 8000, the SR880. The differences between them seem to be more power per channel to the rears(880 75/ch., 8000 110/ch.)and DTS decoding. I have owned the receiver for nearly three years now and have no complaints. I have cranked the 880 more than a time or two with music and movies and have always been impressed. The only problem I have is I need a better center channel, the KV1 just doesn't cut it with the other speakers I have. I also have the RC2000 remote. Its very functional as remotes go, but the quality of the receiver is the most important thing.