Old Heresy Speakers

Butch69

Butch,

I asked a similar question about older Klipsch speakers when I was in Hope last February. My question was about the woofer surrounds which, on some other speakers, disintegrate after several years. I learned (I think from Jim Hunter, but maybe Trey?) that the woofer surrounds are formed in a continuous "S" shape, sort of like a sine wave I guess, so that as the cone moves in and out it doesn't flex at (and stress) any one particular point. In other words, they are designed to last a very long time.

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

Well, I've had Heresys manufactured from 1965 to 1984. None of them needed anything because of their age. I have made some minor tweaks, like damping the horns, and replacing the capacitors in the crossovers. You can search the archives for info on tweaks if you are interested. But if they sound good to you, you really don't need to do a thing.

Disintegrating woofer surrounds aren't a factor. That is a problem with speakers with foam surrounds, which became popular in the 70s with a lot of manufacturers. But it doesn't affect the Heritage series speakers. The surrounds on the early Heresys are doped fabric and last just about forever. The surrounds on the later ones are accordioned paper, actually part of the cone. As long as they don't have tears, they are fine.