I'm just bust'n

pauln

Just have to tell about my latest adventure...

I have a B&O 5005 which is a linear tracking table of very high quality, but it misbehaved shortly after I got it about five years ago; so it has been in the closet. This has always bugged me 'cause the MMC-2 cartridge on it is new and very good. The problem with the table had to do with the way the mechanics and electronics controlled the behavior of the arm - typically it would "lock up" after getting to the end of a record - it would lift and them stay there at the end. In order to recover I would have to cycle the power to the table and manualy push the arm back to home. This was a bit of a hassle.

Lately, I was considering selling the 5005 and the MMC-2. The MMC-2 cartridge is available on the net from various sites for about $800 (it is a very fine cartrige). It is about the size of a peanut - not the shell, but the little nut inside. The diamond is a contact line, the cantilever is a single sapphire crystal, and the effective tip mass is .3 g. In the course of searching around the net I found a free download of the service manual for the 5005 that had all the adjustment procedures for the arm - there are five adjustments, not counting the tracking force. Yesterday I got out my tiny tools and went to work on the 5005. I fixed it so it behaves the way it should!

Now I am playing records and just busting! This cartride is so good I don't know how to tell about it. The speakers (LS) just disappear and the refinement and delicacy of the sound is killing me. I'm going to be up all night with this.

It is so great when everything falls together and works the way it should. Just had to tell about it.

Pauln

Thank you for sharing your experience; it put a smile on my face.

I totally understand when things in life just work out very well, and you must express it.

Enjoy that awsome sound from your cartridge, TT and La Scalas; you deserve it.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library.php?make=Bang%20and%20Olufsen

Vinylengine site has a huge collection of free PDF download service manuals for many makes of turntables.

For the B&O manuals, check the table of contents as their single manuals tend to have procedures for the whole family of a series (the link title only lists one of the series).

Happy tinkering,

Pauln