Help with making a tractrix horn for Altec 290-16K for use on K-horn

What you describe is a classic example of a commonly mis-diagnosed problem and the resultant solution that fails to address the root cause of the problem.

You are dealing with a significant offset in acoustical centers (apparent points of origin) which, combined with a passive crossover, not only exhibits excessive group delay, but results in significant comb filtering and polar anomalies. This is due to the significant signal offset in the time domain.

Unfortunately, modifications to the passive crossover or to the horns will not fix this, regardless of the horn topology or material, even if you precision cast a Tractrix horn in green Jello with precision cut pineapple pieces.

Productive solutions depend upon accurate assessments of the problem. And in this case your frequency domain response concerns (not to mention the more significant time domain issues) would benefit from resolution of the time domain issues via the use of an active crossover with signal delay to accommodate the acoustical center offsets.

I removed the top bin of my Khorn so that I could locate the mid and tweeter anywhere I wanted.  I had slate tops made to fit the top of the bass bin.  I run the mids and tweeters on the outer side of the horns. No problems here.  Sounds absolutely grand.  I too would love to get some 2' tractix mid-horns for my 2382's.  JW nicely forwarded some templates but as yet I've not found a way to get them constructed.  Another consideration is that these big tractix horns will not fit inside of any stock cabinet.  They'll need to be pretty enough to be exposed.  Somebody please get handy enough to build these things.  I need 3 of them.

I removed the top bin of my Khorn so that I could locate the mid and tweeter anywhere I wanted. I had slate tops made to fit the top of the bass bin. I run the mids and tweeters on the outer side of the horns. No problems here. Sounds absolutely grand. I too would love to get some 2' tractix mid-horns for my 2382's. JW nicely forwarded some templates but as yet I've not found a way to get them constructed. Another consideration is that these big tractix horns will not fit inside of any stock cabinet. They'll need to be pretty enough to be exposed. Somebody please get handy enough to build these things. I need 3 of them.

Send me one of the templates and I'll take a shot at building a couple. Shoot me a line at ellseast@hotmail.com.