Rear Surrounds Placement

Youthman

• Moderators

I just went to the THX website looking for signage and came across this image below. They suggest the back rear speakers be placed next to each other. I don't think I have ever seen this layout before for rear surrounds. Does anyone have their rears in this setup?

speakerlayout.jpg

• Moderators

That is the way that I have always had my rears (apart, not together). If you go to http://thx.com/home/setup/speakers/71.html on the left nav, go to Speaker Layout. They have suggested arrangements for each speaker. The screenshot I showed was for 7.1 layout. If you look at the 5.1 layout http://thx.com/home/setup/speakers/51.html they suggest to have the bipole/dipole to the sides as opposed to having direct firing in the rear behind the listening area. Many people have suggested in the forums to go with direct firing rears in a 5.1 configuration. THX suggests otherwise. Any thoughts or discussion on this issue?

The THX site has some good information about speaker placement, screen setup, angles, distances etc. This will come in handy when we build our house and theater room.

I think direct rears help to give you a more "feeling" when things pass overhead...and for concerts too... Giving you depth! If you like the sprayed sound, it does not matter at all.. I have mine close together, about 4 feet apart on a 17 feet back wall. My biggest suggestion 4 u, is to put em up a little higher than u think... ( 8 foot ceilings...put em up at least 6 feet, 10 foot put em 8 etc..) Go look at the THX, DTS, and Dolby sites for ideas... Your sides can be straight to the sides, to 20 degrees behind your seating position too.. Again, like most anything in audio, a little personal choice is where they are gonna stay... Use any ideas anyone gives you as a guide...

Ditto the "Y" splitter... 2 subs will give you a lot more punch too. You can put em close together, for added DB's, or put m up next to your left and right speakers too. (Make the explosions or info seem bigger.)

While subs are not in stereo to date.. Do not be surprised if they are in the future.. I think THX and Dolby DTS is thinking about 4 subs in the future.. hehehehe Like we all need 4 subs!! hahahahahaha

For your rear placement, you need to look at your receiver / processor recomendation

Mine for example recommends the rears are 30-45 degrees from rear center which follows closer to the Dolby / DTS recommendation.

This THX placement seems odd to me. Even the 6.1 recomendations I have seen recomends some gap in your two rears... Who knows.

Then again THX recomends all small settings for all speakers. In my Heritage HT, I think NOT[:D]

JM