Question regarding speaker wire

stephenp1983

I am about to purchase around 100 feet of speaker wire from monoprice. Can anyone tell me the difference between the

Product
ID: 2816

12AWG CL3 Rated Loud Speaker Cable - 50ft (For In-Wall Installation) and the
12AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Cable - 50ft. One is cl3 rated loud speaker and is for in wall installation. Is there really that much difference? Also should I get 12 awg or will one of the larger number gauges work as well?

Thanks

The in-wall rating refers to governmental regulations concerning the flammability and toxic smoke-producing capability of the wire when it is burning. If you are truly doing an in-wall installation and you want the wiring to be "up to code" (as well as safe), then I'd use the proper wire. If you decide to sell your house, an inspector may check this.

That said, I am actually using some grey, in-wall, 16/4 wire (twisted pair) for my surround speakers in a non-in-wall situation simply because I found it easier to shove beneath my baseboards as well as less conspicuous than copper speaker wire.

Is the crawlspace under your room heated and away from the elements? If so then you could just go with regular speaker wire. The inwall is expensive because of it's jacket. The jacket might make the wire easier to pull because it makes the cable stiffer. It adds nothing to it's performance.

Walls/Ceilings will stop fire from spreading quickly to other rooms when designed properly. A non-in-wall rated wire could produce toxic smoke and burn at a faster rate which could cause the fire to spread faster.

Where I live you only have to worry about using plenum rated low voltage wire when running wires through existing HVAC ducts in home construction/renovation. Commercial construction has to use fire rated wire however. I ran Carlon Grey PVC conduits to my side and rear surrounds. If I ever need to replace the 12 gauge OFC wire (maybe when I sell the house), I can easily fish wire in and out of them. As a side benefit it will protect my wires from water, fire and rodents.

If your crawlsapace has a dirt floor and/or is un-insulated and/or exposed to the elements you should consider PVC conduit.

"I am about to purchase around 100 feet of speaker wire from monoprice.  Can anyone tell me the difference between the Product ID: 2816
12AWG CL3 Rated Loud Speaker Cable - 50ft (For In-Wall Installation) and the
12AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Cable - 50ft.  One is cl3 rated loud speaker and is for in wall installation.  Is there really that much difference?  Also should I get 12 awg or will one of the larger number gauges work as well?"

determine your purchase price then shipping cost but before buying...compare to lowes or home depot wire.

oxygen free copper won't turn green as quickly...so if the stuff is being exposed to the elements...might want to consider.

I will agree with Fritz...examine the cost per unit.

But just one comment, Lowes and Home Depot prices are outrageous. Shop around and compare prices!

And as far as speaker wires burning...do I really need to comment on this?

If your wire insulation is more flammable than the stud and wall construction, then worry about this! And just what voltage are you planning on applying to this speaker cable? I would suggest keeping it below 1 KV just to be safe! If you plan to exceed this, I would simply go with Romex for your speakers!

[*-)]