Klipschorn Fuses

Stock 85+ Klipschorns come with a 4 amp fuse (found out this morning when I blew one.... Bad banana's...). Replaced, all ok.... But got curious.... Need opinions on the primary fuse. Should they be left at 4A or maybe 3, 2, etc,? Any ideas, thoughts, "best practices"? I also use a fast 2A inline on my other earlier Klipschorns, Cornwalls, Heresy's etc. I'll probably throw in an inline 2A on these, but before I do, was there some technical reason Klipsch use a 4A on the later Klipschorns. Also, the woofer fuse is a 1.25A, any known reason? Leave it alone? Change it?

All I can tell you is what's recommended in the Alkeng ES xo's. The woofer fuse is a 1.5A fastblow.
I use no fuses in the other xo's.

Regarding the 4A I can not tell, as I never had the stock setup in my horns. Regardless 4A sounds a lot?

Strange... The terminal panel is clearly marked 4 amps; that being said the high section is the 1.25 amps. Possible change mid-stream with the AK-2's?

so is this one of those 2.5 slow blow or 4 quick blow gigs?

here's the ak-3 and it also uses 2.5 in the lf and 1.25 in the hf section.

AK-3.pdf

4A into an 8ohm load is about 128W. A 16ohm load is about 256W. Depending on where the fuse is in the network, 4A should be fine as long as its a fast blow. The Khorns are rated for 150W input aren't they?

EDIT: oops! (calculator malfunction)

4A into an 8ohm load is about 64W. A 16ohm load is about 128W. Depending on where the fuse is in the network, 4A should be fine as long as its a fast blow. The Khorns are rated for 150W input aren't they?

Man, apparently they have gone and changed Ohm's law on me again...I hate it when that happens.

Michael

4A into an 8ohm load is about 128W. A 16ohm load is about 256W. Depending on where the fuse is in the network, 4A should be fine as long as its a fast blow. The Khorns are rated for 150W input aren't they?

EDIT: oops! (calculator malfunction)

Ok, so we have 4a/8ohm/128W instead of 4a/8ohm/64W now...your getting close....but the Khorns are not 8 ohm speakers....

4A into an 8ohm load is about 64W. A 16ohm load is about 128W. Depending on where the fuse is in the network, 4A should be fine as long as its a fast blow. The Khorns are rated for 150W input aren't they?

Man, apparently they have gone and changed Ohm's law on me again...I hate it when that happens. Michael

Hey Mike,

WHAT?????? I been using tin foil 34 years[:^)] Guess that would be considered slow blow?

Must be that my ultra-conservative SPL's have saved me.[;)]

To beat BEC to the punch, I had one little boo-boo with a K33.

Some use 8ga speaker wire, and install an in line fuse with a filament half the size of a human hair. Just love it.

Terry

Tin-Foil hats just don't count in this discussion...especially when what's under the hat is well past blown. As to the fuses.....it's not the appearance but what's truly INSIDE that matters. When did you last see a human hair?

-BroMike

I like the hat. Problem is my scalp is already reflective enough. Maybe if I design it with the "shiny" side on the inside. I wonder if I install reflectors around the ears will improvements be noticed on the HF and LF? Do I have permission to "tweak" your design? I desire no infringement issues here.

Harry