Recommendations for an Amp

TimCar

I realize that any recommendation is purely subjective, but...

I recently had the good fortune to inherit two sets of Klipsch speakers, a pair of Walnut Cornwalls and a pair of Birch Heresy IIs. What Im looking for is an opinionated response as to what would be a good Integrated Amp/Preamp to drive them with.

Most of my music collection is in the form of rock and jazz CDs from the 70s, and 80s.

Suggestions for an affordable used Amp in the $200 to $400 range that would complement this set until I can afford something better would be most gratefully appreciated.

This message has been edited by TimCar on 12-24-2001 at 12:06 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Colin:

great set of speakers! do you plan to use them in stereo? same room? six channels now or in the near future? what are you using for a pre-amp or receiver? plan to add a sub-woofer?

Thanks for the reply, Colin.

The four are going into the same room. No plans on a sub-woofer. Right now my equipment is all low-end Yamaha. The four-channel AMP/Pre-Amp (AV-34) overheats and cuts-out after a few minutes and I'm looking for a short term replacment. After I get this system up again, I'm going to start scouting for the long-term solutions to my dream system.

Tim

the reciver cuts out when it warms up? or it cuts out when you are playing it really loud in the first few minutes? very strange - something wrong since the big old horns you inherited draw merely a watt and that is only when they get mad, I think you need to get your reciver checked out , probably something simple and that would be your short term solution ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

Inhereting is a bummer cause it genrally means one is listening to music elsewhere.

If you are hard pressed look for a used "high current" used receiver at a local HIFI shop. My local one in Michigan had a used Rotell stereo reveiver for less than $ 400.

You cannot afford good HT that doubles for 2 channel at $400.

Awesome speakers!

Keep em!

If you want to stretch your budget a little - get an Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V receiver - great quality you can stay with - why throw away $400. on a used stereo receiver when the Outlaw will meet your present and future needs and sound great with those great speakers?

www.outlawaudio.com

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 12-25-2001 at 10:33 PM

Rotel RB985 for an Integrated Amp of 100 wattts/ch. I don't know if you'll be able to find one for under 400, but that's my choice for pure clean sound. Try an NAD integrated amp if you want sound balanced a little more toward the bass, but be prepared for a possible grainyness of sound that NADs sometimes have.

Dump that Yammy if it is giving you problems with the low loads that Klipsch speakers impose.

I'm also sure that a Denon receiver will work fine with your speakers and musical material. I only fault my Denon's amp because it lacks some power compared to higher quality amps. It has very clean sound though.

Good Luck

------------------

Denon AVR-2700

Denon DCD1500-II

Audio Control Octave

Phillips CDR-765

Nakamichi BX-100

Sony PS-LX3

Rotel RB-991

Klipsch Heresy (1981)

Klipsch RP-3

B&W602

MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire

Computer system:

NAD 7130

Realistic Optimus Pro-7s (its only a computer system)

Klipsch KSW-10

If you put an ohmmeter to the Cornwall it will measure 4 ohms, likewise the Heresy II. I don't know of anything new for less than $400 that will drive both pair, a 2 ohm load. You could find a used McIntosh MC2100 for that kind of money.

"A 2 ohm load? Perhaps an Adcom? " The 60W Adcom GFA535 uses the same circuit board as the 100W GFA545, but only has four of the six outputs installed. Installing the extra outputs would give you more muscle for low impedance loads.I would order a set of six new outputs from MCM and install on one channel and move two of the old to the other channel.Cost you about $25 including the extra emitter resistors and freight.Add four 22µF 100V bypass caps to the power supply while you have it apart.Used GFA535s go for $150~$200 on eBay.If you are just going to play CDs you can add a volume control to the front panel for a few bucks.The $2 100K Alps that Radio Shack sells is good for the money. Another amp to consider would be the Hafler XL280, about $325 used.Add bypass caps and volume control if desired.

This message has been edited by djk on 12-27-2001 at 01:42 AM