Tightening Spade Connection

forte

I purchased speaker cables are terminated with spades, since it appears that most people here believe that spaces provide a better connection than bananas, however I am having a problem getting the nut on the binding post tight enough.

In order for the spade to be effective it has to be slightly crushed under the nut so that it is flat, otherwise it is not making full contact around its entire body.

The nut on the binding post is plastic, and hand tightening does not seem to be enough.

I don't want to use a wrench or pliers on the plastic nut, but how do I get it tight? I am starting to think that I would have been better off with bananas.

I thought about replacing the nuts with metal ones, but I have read too many articles about peoples binding posts comming loose from behind. That happened to me with another pair of Klipsch speakers.

I am trying to connect to RF-3's.

Any suggestions?

Well the only way I found to effectively tighten the binding posts to the spades was to use a pair of pliers. But I really didn't like that idea.

So I went with banana plugs that make it much easier to connect and disconnect from the speakers if you have to move them. As far as signal loss from the banana plugs.....that is all BS. As long as you use a good pair of gold plated banana plugs you aren't going to lose any noticable signal.

Good Luck.

------------------

Klipsch Quartets

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

forte,go to your nearest Tweeter store and tell them you would like a double handfull of

Phoenix Gold dual banana plugs.They will cost

you about $5 apiece.After installing on speaker wire, insert into back of binding post.If the banana is not snug in plug,use a

razor cutter blade or some other thin device to GENTLY pry the plug ends open to achieve a tighter fit.You'll have a large contact surface and ease of use.Enjoy!

Keith

Better yet..when you are at Tweeter or whatever your local store is.....just get the banana plugs that will accept spade connectors. At Tweeter they are made by Niles and cost like $10 for the pair, that is what I use and they are great.

------------------

Klipsch Quartets

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

Either way should be fine actually.As long as it's good and snug you dont have to crush a spade connector to make it work correctly.That would be the same as saying a banana plug should be tight enough to almost split it's housing! In reality, a spade connector will give you twice the surface area of MOST banana plugs anyway, not all but most. Myself, I use bare wire, being one that feels the less differnt kinds of metal the better and the less connections the better too. Of course some will say but what about oxidation!? It's a head game..... whatever you like the best, is the best....for you.

• 2 weeks later...