Members Weekly Recommendation...Week of July 23rd

Klipsched with Yamahas

In honor of Thebes, let the tradition continue on.........so what's on your mind this week in the world of music!

Got me a fix of Eddie Money this past weekend, who is quite a character for those who know of his background. I also have an inside scoop from one of my DJ friends that interviewed Mr. Money back in the late 70's. O the stories.....but that would be kissing and telling now wouldn't it?[:#]

In honor of Thebes,   let the tradition continue on.........so what's on your mind this week in the world of music!   

Got me a fix of Eddie Money this past weekend,  who is quite a character for those who know of his background.   I also have an inside scoop from one of my DJ friends that interviewed Mr. Money back in the late 70's.   O the stories.....but that would be kissing and telling now wouldn't it?[:#]

Wait a minute you kissed Mr.Money? 

Just watched Disc 1 from Bigger Bang Tour, from Austin, Texas.......Damn that's a good set, great song selection, great picture, sounds real good in DTS, as much as I like Four Flicks, I think this set of disc's are better. How do these guys do it, Mick is non stop through the whole set, except for when Keith takes center stage for a couple of songs, and Keith and Ronnie, swapping guitar licks back and forth, their music was made for twin lead guitars, simply amazing, Ronnie on a pedal steel, and the Rythmn Section of Charlie "Solid as a Rock" Watts, and Darryl Jones on Bass, these guys never, I mean never, miss a beat. This is Truly the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the world. What a story their careers have been, pretty amazing for a Bar Band playing in stinky beer soaked, blues dripping off the wall clubs, to such a big stage. They are a true success story, one many bands wish they could have had, but didn't. They still seem to find away to keep the Old material fresh, and full of life.Jumpin' Jack Flash, Satisfaction,Under my Thumb, and the crowds love it, and expect to hear those songs, and play them they do.

If you haven't got this 4 DVD set, and you like the Stones, it is well worth the $29.99, money well spent. I don't know when their run will end, 40+ years of rock and Roll, but it's not ending soon............These Guys still deliver the goods.......why quit now, and the really great part, this isn't reunion tour number 10..........They have never stopped........What can a poor boy do,'cept sing in a Rock and Roll band................

MiDNITE

RAS MEK PEACE

06552.gif

MIDNIGHT is a reggae band from St.Croix and not since Bob Marley left us has such a fine piece of music been created from the Islands. It is the best recorded cleanest most beautiful reggae album I have heard. It is a blessing. This was recorded by Mapleshade which explains the high quality recording.

excerpts

Id been searching three years for a reggae band to record.
Then I heard Midnite, just in from St. Croix. Thirty seconds of
their tight, crushingly powerful bass groove ended my search.
Here was the rootsiest, most spiritually pure reggae Id
heard in decades. Not just another party band singing about dope
and copping Wailers riffs, Midnites songs are brilliantly
poetic and devastatingly iconoclastic. And they had the guts to
record without electronic cosmetics (no reverb, EQ, overdubs,
etc.)a first in reggae history. Thats why this is
the cleanest, punchiest reggae sound youve heardgut-wrenching
electric bass (the best Ive ever recorded), razor-sharp
guitar, raw and clear vocals.

This no-overdub, all-organic, live-in-the-studio album is a feast
of heavy, pulsing reggae the likes of which is seldom heard amidst
the modern chatter of drum machines, programming and hip-hop influenced
dancehall remixes. Midnite vocalist Vaughan Benjamin is the pure
and conscious voice of roots reggae, singing, chanting and groaning
his way through Midnite's ten lengthy, bass-heavy jams. Play this
record next to any vintage record from the likes of Spear, Marley
or Tosh and you'll find it on par with these of its noble predecessors.
For Fans Of: Bob Marley, Bunny Wailer, Wingless Angels. Recommended
Tracks: "Pagan, Pay Gone," "In the Race So Far,"
"Banking The Pig," "Natty Watching You".

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Midnite is a crucial roots reggae band hailing from St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands.

The band's music follows in tradition with the legendary roots reggae bands of 1970s Jamaica.
The lyrical portions of Midnite's compositions are characterized as the
"chant and call" style which gives their music a spiritually intense
and overtly Rastafarian
feel. The lyrics are centrally focused on the plights of the oppressed,
the inherent faults of the current political, economic and social
settings on a global scale, and the redemption available to mankind
through a life dedicated to Jah.

The band was started by brothers Vaughn (vocals) and Ron (keyboard) Benjamin, and has been playing since 1989. They recorded Ras Mek Peace (Before Reverb and Without Delay) while living in Washington, D.C.
during the mid-90s. The album was named so, because it was reportedly
recorded live in one room with only two microphones. It's clarity and
full sound is thus remarkable. Later, they returned home to St. Croix
in the late '90s to play with local musicians and record at their music
studio, African Roots Lab.

Midnite frequently collaborates with new artists and has played as the back-up band on a number of African Roots Lab artists' releases, such as Dezarie's Fya and Gracious Mama Africa and Ikahba's Trodding to Zion.

Since returning to the U.S. Virgin Islands, the name Midnite has become mostly associated with singer Vaughn Benjamin
and the band seldom records as a unit. Most releases feature Vaughn on
vocals and an evolving group of collaborators performing or programming
the back-up.

I always say, "when in a funk, then play some".

Not only is this album very aluring visually, as identified by the cover, but I also find this LP a refreshing throwback to those days of big hair and horns. I thought I understood sometime back that this covergirl sued someone for this picture, but cannot remember the details. Not sure if it was hot honey that burned her skin or what, but I do remember some controversy surrounding the cover. I would have to say this LP and "Fire" are my favorites:

"Say What" Lover Rollercoaster....TOPS

post-24109-13819339573536_thumb.jpg