Rare? K5j and ?

ClaudeJ1

Just got this yesterday and have not plugged it into a Khorn yet "just to hear." The 16 ohm JBL LE85 driver has the original seals and looks like the horn was hand-built by PWK himself since he has his initials in it. The driver's DC reading is 6.5 ohms. I remember my K55's come in at around 12-13 ohm DCR, so it can only mean the different wire in the coil windings, etc. The driver is huge compared to a K55.

According to the guy I got it from. He bought a single Patrician at an auction and this horn was in it. Hey I guess you had to be DIY nuts like us back then since many people built speakers from plans.

I have been looking for curves on an LE85 and can't seem to find any. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

post-22904-1381933944819_thumb.jpg

I have 2 of the k-5-j horns, along with the throat.  

I'm not sure about the LE-85 driver....someone may have added it 

I'm not sure that LE-85 driver can function in a normal khorn mid driver range.  

I'll post some info.  You will have to study the schematic's to come to a conclusion. 

The first document shows where the le-85 was used.

The next 2 documents are crossover netowrks refered to in the first document.

Thanks, there's some confusion about Xing over the LE85 at 500 hz. I have seen it as a yes and no. They say that it's ok as long as the power between 500 and 800 is less than 10 watts. If this thing does 118 db for a 1 watt input, it will be more like 10 milliwatts!!

Sensitivity is 118dB at 1mW on a terminated tube.

1W on a K5J syle horn will be around 110dB, +/- 3dB from 400hz to 17Khz (2350 horn).

So how do they sound? Since you have had 2 of them for a while, I assume that you listen to them. If so, which drivers?

These the PWK initials you were referring to? I think all the K-5 horns had these. Somehow I don't think it means PWK himself laid them up unless he was awful busy. Mine are serial 1911 and 1917, has been estimated as late '59 or early '60

Mine are earlier than that, 1956 and don't look as neat, but that's not nearly as important as your telling me how they sound??

These the PWK initials you were referring to? I think all the K-5 horns had these. Somehow I don't think it means PWK himself laid them up unless he was awful busy. Mine are serial 1911 and 1917, has been estimated as late '59 or early '60

Mine are 1272 in Dec. 1956, so this tells me they did about 150-200 pairs per year at that time, so you are probably right. I was told a bad story. LOL.