Bookshelf vs Floorstanding

wsu99999

I went to best buy and they had a F-3 setup and a B-3 Setup. The B-3 sounded clearer, more loud, and fresh. The F-3 honestly sounded like crap. Is this due to poor setup? If I hooked an F3 up to an HK AVR 745 would it be better? Better than the B-3?

Thanks

In case anyone reads this who is thinking about purchasing a pair of either the floorstanding or bookshelf speakers. I took the bookshelfs home for about a week (B-3). They sounded great. Today, I went back to Bestbuy and purchased the F-2's. WOW. They are amazing. I can't believe how much of a difference it made to my home theater. I HIGHLY reccomend ANYONE who is considering getting the bookshelfs to get them and then try the floor speakers if you have the power for em. Now I'm wondering if I should go upgrade everything to the 3 series (f3, s3, and c3) since I have the avr 745 on the way.

Is the change from the 2 series to the 3 series drastic?

• Moderators

wsu,

First of all....welcome to the forum.

I totally agree with masterxela. Dtel and I purchased a complete Synergy setup before we found the forum. After reading and asking a lot of questions of our fellow members we opted to purchase used Heritage speakers...they were in our budget. That being said, I have heard the Reference line and I can assure you.....if you are impressed with the f-3's the RF 7's would really impress you...and while I am not sure on the pricing, I think the difference in $$$ would be $$$ well spent.

Each step up with Klipsch only further improves your listening experience.

Again, welcome to the forum....

• Moderators

WSU,

Are you in a real hurry to purchase new speakers? Didn't you say you already purchased new speakers....can you get a refund or only exchange them?

If not, slow down a little bit and read a lot on this forum. I wish we would have known about the forum before we purchased our Synergy set up. If you have speakers you can live with for just a little while....take your time....in doing so you will be a lot happier with your purchase in the long run?

Also...

The Rf-7's need 250 watts. The Avr 745 doesn't come close to this. Rated at 85/ch, I've seen benchmark results putting this number over 150/ch but that still leaves a lot of needed power. I don't have enough money to buy an external 500 watt amp, and then I would need something to power the new surrounds I would need to buy.

I can certinally take back my synergy setup and get a full refund = so an exchange isn't out of the question = but the R-7 series was Klipsch's flagship a few years back - I can't see being able to find a complete setup of it for the same price as the F-3's or even close. I may be wrong-and if I am please correct me. I just want the best bang for my buck, and I want a system that isnt going to leave me wanting more in 6 months.

A little story - I baught a bose system a few months back (which is now used as a 2nd system in a projector room) and it truely left me wanting more. I don't want klipsch to do the same thing to me. If upgrading from the synergy F2 system to the F3 system is a huge difference - I want to do it. If there is something better than the F3 that isn't outrageously priced - and much better - I really would rather go that route.

I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONES IMPUT!

Right now I have about 1200 invested into the F-2's C2 and S2's.

If I go the F-3 system route, it will only cost 50 more for the s-3, I will probably stick with the c-2 and the f-3's are a few hundred more.

I make a lot of money so I'm not that concerned with the budget, but I don't need the most "high end" equipment. I just want to make sure the next step up isn't an amazing difference. I don't mind spending a bit of extra money for a huge increase in performance. If the step above f-3 is a new world, I would really want to get it. If not, then I will probably stick with the F-3

• Moderators

Thanks for the input Islander. I really appreciate it....I am trying to give wsu a little advice on Heritage products through the pm system, so everyone else doesn't get bored reading....any input from any other forum members would be greatly appreciated.

I think we should let him know how great Heritage speakers are compared to what he is considering!!!![:D]

i have the synergy III F-3 complete system which includes S-3, C-3's and sub12. I've had them for a year. it rocks, and i am completely satisfied with it. it fulfills my every sonic need. i also have the AW650's on the deck.

that being said, i never had the opportunity to audition any of the reference series, nobody in my area carries them. everything I've read about them here makes me think i would have wanted them instead. But I'm sure i wouldn't have been able to completely pay for the whole system with best buy cards as i did my synergy's. not a penny out of pocket. makes my ears and wallet happy.