RC 62....Weak woofer

peshewah

I got up close to my center channel and noticed that the right woofer was weak. A lot weaker than the left. I had my wife listen to it and she said yes there is sound coming out of it but it wasn't as loud as the left woofer, and that was fine with her(LOL). I bought it local 2 months ago. I wonder, should I take it back to them or should I return it to Klipsch? I would fell more confident with Klipsch looking at it and repairing it. Money doesn't come easy for me and I want it done right. I don't want to return it and get a returned speaker in return, do you know what I mean?I don't have the box anymore, my 5 year old boy got ahold of it. What do ya think? What should I do?

It may be fine. I believe this center employs tapered array technology, meaning only one woofer will play during certain frequencies. If you bought this from a authorized dealer you could take it back to them and have them check it just to be safe. I'm sure others will chime in here before too long.

I listened to CD's on 5 channel stereo and heard very little sound coming from the right woofer. Alot of sound coming from the left woofer. Friday will be the first day off I've had in a long time(Monday thru Friday speaking). I've been working a lot of OT. I guess I will take it back to the dealer. If I don't get a different speaker I guess will contact Klipsch and send it in for repair. Maybe I'll call the dealer first and see what they do in a case like this. I live 20 miles from the Springfield Mo. Don't want to make a wasted trip. I got too much to do at home. I hate to be without a center channel for a long period of time. But anyway... Thank you for your response and your time

So I should hear the lows on both speakers equally. But the high's will be different. One will go higher to blend with the tweeter. Is this right? I now know it is not the woofers because I swapped the woofers around in the cabinet and got the same result. If it is a crossover problem then I have 5 years for it to go out. I might take it in just for my own peace of mind. Also.... you guys are great. Thank you for your input and your time.

No I haven't. My system isn't complete. No sub and my back speakers don't match( RSX5's). I don't know where to get a SPL meter or how to use it. Don't get me wrong, my system sounds great. But I want to get all I can out of my speakers. And I don't mean to slam the dealer I bought my center channel from. They are very professional. Very attentive and helpful. Its sales people that spook me.

RadioShack sells SPL meters and you can find a calibration disc like Avia on the net. Here's a bundle with both items. http://www.svsound.com/products-parts-avia.cfm Calibration is essential for properly setting up your system and getting the most out of it. You'll use it more than once, so don't think of it as a one time use item. There was a very noticeable improvement in my system the first time I used it. Basically it allows you to balance your speaker levels relative to one another. It also helps you check to make sure that you don't have one speaker wired out of phase with the rest. There's also a video section on the disc that I found useful.