Klipschorns for sale in NW P***

I am selling a pair of 1977 Klipschorns, black, with consecutive serial numbers (10R248, 10R249.) These K-horns are structurally sound and play beautifully, but they are "cosmetically challenged". The grilles need to be replaced. One top hat has its back 4-5 inches (the area that fits in the corner) sawn off. Somewhere along the line, the shelf on which the top hat is set was replaced with particle board. They have numerous scratches, chips, dents, dings, veneer cracks, etc. These would be great candidates for a built-in installation where cosmetics don't matter, or for a veneerer/restorer to take on.
I live in Meadville, PA right in the middle of a triangle betyween Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Cleveland. I am asking $1,500.00 for them. If no one on this forum is interested, they will go out for sale on e-Bay shortly.
I may put up photos on the Web shortly, so if you're interested, check this thread later for the URL.
Payment to be made in cash, prepaid postal money order or cashier's check. Buyer is responsible for picking them up. I do not have boxes for them. Sale is final--no refunds or exchanges.

Thank you,

George

Sorry, I forgot my signature information, which should be ignored regarding this posting. These K-horns have the stock Klipsch configuration--K55V on K400 horn, K77 tweeter (round magnet) and Klipsch Type AA network. I will probably be selling my ALK Trachorn, Crites CT-125 tweeters and Crites' modded crossovers separately. They are NOT part of this offering.

George

I took a look at the pic's...these need a lot of work..no..check that...major surgery...certainly they would wind up as a bondo veener project or bondo paint black project...me personally i would chuck the cabinets and build a new set of cabs. These look like they had some basement life and seen some flooding.

Market is tough right now...I just sold some mint 1985 zero defect walnut Khorns for 1650 a few weeks ago.

I would put them everywhere I could...audiogon...ebay...craglist...audiokarma..and here.

Some one local to you might be in search of a DIY project and make you a decent offer....you know the parts alone are worth 500 bucks...so anything in between that and you number will probally be the kinds of offers you will be seeing.

Yeah..your right on the money.

It makes you wish we had a pimp my klipsch team to do an onite. One guy would do bondo and structure....the other guy veneer....another fabric...another wire and drivers.

Hi George:

My attempt to send you an email throught Klipsch forum contact function had failed.

Please let me know if you are ready to sell the ALK Trachorns. I am very interested and can move fast via Paypal.

Ki

in Seattle

PS, I just sent you a PM as well.

You know,  I think they look worse in the photos than they do in person. Once the old finish is stripped, it's really just a matter of some wood filling and sanding--not much more involved for twenty dings as opposed to ten when you're wielding the ol' putty knife.

With a little care, someone is going to have a really nice-sounding pair of K-horns to enjoy at a very reasonable price.

George

I'm considering options for the Trachorns. I have them, Bob's CT-125 tweeters and modified crossovers that, with a pair of K-55Vs would make a complete top section for a K-horn. I made a bracket the correct height for insertion into a K-Horn top hat. It's shorter than spec, but could be made the correct size with two table saw cuts to the sides and longer cross pieces. Not a biggie. Add grilles and it's done!

I try to shoot some pix tomorrow and post them on the Web. Keep in touch!

George

• 4 months later...

This is funny to see these speakers for the third time. I almost bought these when they showed up on ebay about a year and a half ago while they resided in a storage unit in Columbus. Then again when they were in Summersville, WV. By the way did you sell these???? It appears that no one has done any cosmetic surgery to these in the last couple of years. I was willing to go $850 back when they first appeared on ebay. If I remember correctly they went for $1350, the first time then $1500 the second time on the bay. They were in pretty rough shape, and had the K-33-P in the bass bin. Figured they needed alot of work and appears that they still do.