klf30 tweeter and mid replace

p.dow

it seems the mid on one of my klf's is distorting some passages of dire straits today.

i pulled it out of the box , unscrewed it , ? dont know what to look for , it looked ok. put it back , same distortion.

the tweeters never have sounded great (these klfs are about a year old with me) and i am wondering if i should replace/upgrade the diaphrams on the tweeter/mids ?

thanks

for any advice.

paul dow

Switched the tubes? Would that be the entire horn assembly? And when you say it stays in the one speaker, the problem stayed on the left? (so it didn't follow over to the other side). If that's the case, then it's either an amplifier or crossover issue. I would try swapping the speaker cables between sides so that the L channel of the amp is driving your speaker on the R. If the problem stays on the left, then it's the crossover in the speaker.

not the klf 30 speaker.

i switched the speaker wires and the transient distortion went over to the other channel.

i then switched out the cj 60se tubes and the problem is gone.

shouldhave trouble shot it little more before i blamed the problem on the speaker. one good thing...... i initally thought the mid was damaged because i found it screwed in cockeyed to the plastic horn, when i treaded it out some of the threads in the horn were striped... but i was able to carefully thread it back to seat it on the rubber gasket.

thanks for the replys to my problem.

paul

See Dean? I told him to swap out his tubes...[*-)]

Glad to hear things turned out. Was the speaker possibly dropped at some point in its life? Every once in a while you'll come across a compression driver that gets a bit loose on the horn, but I've never seen on that got cross threaded.

nope... plum cross threaded. looked unmolested when i first pulled it out . had the white nylon pipe tape that was original. horn not damaged in any way.

it just looked like the guy that put it together at the factory jammed it in crooked. it was only screwed in about a third of the way, crooked.

i am glad it i was able to just gently get the threads going again , and reseat it all the way in to the orange rubber gasket.

paul