Home Theater Question

Italiano86

Hey guys, I am in the process of putting together a new home theater system for my room, which is about 12' x12', and will go with the reference line up because they will be with me for years to come hopefully. So far I am definitely leaning towards the RW12d, RF-82's, and RS-52's, but I can't decide if I should go with the regular RC-62 or pay a bit more and get the RC-64, which is just plain massive, haha.

I am planning on powering the system with the Harmon-Kardon AVR-247, which puts out about 85 watts per channel, will this be enough for the system? Will clipping be a possibility?

As far as the RC though, will the 64 be too much for the system compared to the 62? Will the different size speakers go alright together? Lastly, would going from the RF-82's down to the 62's be much of a difference?

Let me know your opinions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Italiano86: Hello and welcome to the forum!!! I do like your speaker choices.

I feel that what CECAA850 posted about getting the best center channel you could afford is excellent advice and he's right about the center's importance relative to the rest of the system. My only concern is those 85 Watts of power per channel. Agreed: The system should be calibrated. However, depending on your personal tastes and how loud you expect to play everything back (and choosing the awesome RW-12d sub you are talking about some serious bass to contend with!), I would be concerned that your speakers might actually be under-whelmed, despite the fact they are very efficient. Do you already own the H-K receiver? If so, then I'd recommend you simply stick with it. However, if you do not already own it, this may be your opportunity to upgrade? 100 Watts/ch may prove to be more serviceable in my estimation. If anything, it will provide you with more latitude and headroom to work with. Best of luck! -Glenn<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks for the welcome and all the info.

So far it looks like I will be limited to what Klipsch currently sells Magnolia, which for the set and best they offer is: RF-82, RC-52, RW12d, and the RS-42 surrounds. I am praying there is someone at Klipsch I can talk to about getting the better speakers when I fax them my order, even though Magnolia doesn't carry them. Any ideas?

I haven't purchased the receiver yet, still looking around for one. For my small room, the volume will seldom be very loud because my family and everything, but when I am the only one home, I will let them do their thing, haha. I don't want to spend over 800 for a receiver from best buy, but from this list, which would be some good options? (I will only buy from best buy because of my discount[H]) Let me know about the ones the store offers as far as being compatible with the wattage for the speakers, would greatly appreciate it.

Would clipping only be an issue when the wattage provided isn't enough as the speakers are turned further and further up? Also, will the woofer provide some decent wattage to the mains if possible, or does it not have it's own power plug?

As far as my accommodation options though, will the system I can order from them be pretty good, in my room for now and a full size room in a house of my own someday?

Thanks again for all your help, looking forward to any more info you audiophiles can give me. [:D]