How far apart

endover

Just looking for thoughts but how far apart is "too far apart" for your mains? We are starting a remodel to my family room and I'm sure my soundstage/listening area will never be ideal because it will be a multi-purpose room but where does the "ideal-o-meter" start to fall off quickly? Is it based on the type of speaker, a pure measurement or relative to the listerners distance from the TV?.

I've got:

HK7200, Chorus II mains, RC-35 center and rs-3 II's for the rears.

Your thoughts?

According to the Heritage Series manual/leaflet, if the speakers are more than 18-20 feet apart, you may want to consider adding a center speaker. Generally speaking, as long you're getting a proper stereo image, you're okay. Another way to look at it is that they should be roughly the same distance apart as you are sitting from them, eg. 12 feet away = 12 feet apart.

Since all rooms and speakers are different, there are no hard and fast rules, just guidelines to give you a starting point. Then you shift the speakers (and your butt) around until you're happy with the sound.

• Moderators

I took a look on the THX website, don't see any mention of distance but they do show suggested angles. If you look at http://thx.com/home/setup/speakers/front.html you will see they suggest having your speakers at a 45 degree angle from your listening position. Also, take a look at http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout2.html . They also have suggestions for angles. If you use their suggested angles, it should show you how far you should have your speakers apart.