Need speaker advice and help

EM3

Ok here goes. I am planning to upgrade to some Klipsch RB 61's so I look on the Klipsch site for my nearest dealer. The site lists 4 in my area and one had closed shop and the other states they no longer carry the Klipsch line. Dealer number 4 is over 3 hours away so forget that one sohat leaves dealer number 3. I call him up and ask him how much for a pair RB-61's and I get a descent price. I then ask if he can get me a 3rd one so I can use it as a center channel and he states that Klipsch will sell them as a pair. Well scratch that idea. I also priced a set of RS-42's and it is close to NSRP. So now I am reduced to getting the RC 10 for a center channel or use my existing center channel from my HTiB Onkyo HT-R500. The other center channel speakers are all too large. The RB-61 would fit on it's side (yes I know not the best placement) the RB 81 would be too long laying down. I tried to talk the wife into letting buy or build a self for the stand and that didn't work. Modifing the existing unit can't be done because it is wood and glass. Also, when I talk to the guy at the store I ask about his return policy he told me once I buy it I have to keep it "No Returns". Also, not a lot of discounts off of the MSRP either.

So do I use my current center channel? Do I buy the RC 10 and hope for the best (Not counting on the $200 additional cost)? Look for a single RB 61 and hope?

Have I missed anything?

• Moderators

Colterphoto is going to love me for this one....I would suggest you call Klipsch Customer Service/Tech Support and ask these questions....I don't understand the "No Returns" policy....that doesn't like a good way for a retailer to do business.

3 hours one way is a small price to pay to get Klipsch speakers............I do 3 1/2 hours one way to get to Audio Classics in Vestal, N.Y.

I believe 3hrs in New York driving is a lot different than 3hrs of driving time in WV but hey I could be wrong. I am thinking traffic vs mountains. There is a dealer in Va about 4 hours away and I may call them and take the wife on an overnight getaway. Ok oldbuckster educate me when you say Audio Classics what do you mean?

Wasn't there like one online vendor approved by Klipsch? Hmmm I may have to call customer service. Grrrrrrrr.....

I wouldn't put a bookshelf speaker on it's side unless you could rotate the horn 90 degrees. If I were building a HT speaker system from scratch, I'd buy the best center channel I could afford that would fit in it's allotted space. I would then match my L and R's to it. If your main interest is 2 channel listening than I'd go about it differently.

I bet the dealer doesn't take returns because he's been burned in the past. When buyers return merchandise that has been used most stores end up selling them as opened box items at a small discount. You should suggest to the dealer that he should have a restocking fee to cover his losses.

Your current center channel will not match the RB61's timbre. You could look on Ebay for a single RB61. I have seen them posted before. The other option would be to buy a pair and sell the other one (Ebay or where-ever). The RB61 goes a lot deeper than the RC10. Not that the RC10 is a bad speaker, I just think the RB61 would be better matched with a RC-52 or another RB-61.

Another option would be to go for a 6.1 set up with 6 x RB-61's. 3 pairs, no hassle to resell a spare, or find a single RB61. Probably wouldn't pass the WAF though...right.

Another option would be to go for a 6.1 set up with 6 x RB-61's. 3 pairs, no hassle to resell a spare, or find a single RB61. Probably wouldn't pass the WAF though...right.

Good guess also the room has too many openings and windows for a 6.1 setup. It has 9ft of windows on one wall.

Well I called Tech Support and they said only the RB 61's are sold as pairs and it wasn't a good idea to turn one on it's side. I knew that wasn't the best idea. The guy suggested an RC 52 and I told him I didn't have enough room for the 52 and then he suggested the 62. I really think he was busy doing something else. I told him about the dealers return policy and he said "it stunk" and offered his condolences. I guess I will have to get the RC 10 and maybe push it a little harder than the rest of the fronts. Well I guess my first order will be for the 61's RC 10 and new sub from SVS. I should be able to place it at the end of the month if nothing happens. The rears will just have to wait a while. [:'(]