No sound from sub

jpmgumdoc

I've had a KSW-12 for some time and always had it connected via the speaker level connections because my electronics didn't have a specific sub connection. Always worked fine. Just bought new Pioneer Elite AV reciever and hooked up the sub via the line level LFE connection to the reciever pre-out sub connection and get nothing. Klipsch manual recommend Y connection into both sub inputs to increase sound but still nothing. Turned up sub level to max on recieveer surround adjustments and still nothing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

If I'm understanding you correctly, the sub still works with the speaker level input, right?

I'd think the next thing to troubleshoot would be to confirm that the sub out on the receiver is putting out signal.

Since it's a line level out, it could be connected to just about anything, like an aux input on another receiver. If you get sound, then you've at least narrowed the issue to the sub.

More than likely the problem is in the setup of the receiver. Make sure you have the subwoofer selected 'On' in your receiver's menu. Also make sure that you have the speakers set correctly, something like Large+Sub or Small+Sub. I'm not too terribly familiar with modern receivers but there are many, many options that can be turned on or off that will affect the subwoofer signal.

Thanks all,
I'm making some progress with the set-up of my new system but have a long way to go. Basically, when I do the speaker set-up if I select "large" for the front speakers (cornwalls) and center (heresy) they sound like they should but I get virtually no sound from the sub. If I select "small" for the front and centers I get much more sound from the sub but the fronts and center have no bass and sound tinny. At least I know everything is working and apparently need to keep messing with the various set-up options to find the right combination which I think will be very different for music vs movies.

John

Make sure you have your receiver's crossover settings set correctly. Things to make sure of:

- Turn the gain control on your subwoofer as high as it can go and then use your receiver's sub out volume to control the loudness of the sound coming from the subwoofer.

- Turn the crossover on your subwoofer as high as it can go and then use your receiver to adjust the cutoff point of the sub, usually 80Hz is a good place to start.

I had a similar problem when I bought my Denon. It turned out that in my subwoofer option I had it set to LFE and it was only sending the info of the LFE track form movies and such. When I changed it to LFE+Main it sent the LFE track as well as the low frequencies form the mains. This was only an issue when I had my fronts set to large.

wuzzzer.

thanks for the input. The automatic surround adjustments with the mic and tones resulted in bad result- very little sub and virtually no surround. Did a manual setting with the fronts set on small and upped the sub volume and got a good result. Watched XXX and rattled the house! This setup is bad for music so I'll just go to 2channle with the cornwalls for listening.

john