Pricing for Cornwall I

streyle

I've just started looking at buying Cornwalls (still kind of debating between them and Heresy).

Anyway, I've been offered a pair from 1974 with updated crossovers from the factory (updated a year ago). Cosmetically, there's a chip in the top corner of the cabinet, and a tear in the grill, but other than that everything looks good.

What's a fair price? How much does the new crossover add? How much does the damaged cabinet decrease?

Also, I've seen a lot of people selling these saying they're too big for a townhouse. Will they be too powerful and should I just go with the Heresy? I guess I need to go find a place to listen, but I thought I'd get some advice from here.

I currently have a 7 speaker Reference series system and I'm looking at doing a heritage system for both home theater and stereo.

I have two pairs of the Cornwall IIs, made in 86, in my HT. There are some variables here, but I think, that you should be looking at the 700-1000 range for a pair. What about shipping, if required? By all means use Craters & Frieghters-about 250 to ship a pair of Corns across the US but worth it getting undamaged goods to your door.

They can be re-grilled and the veneer patched. If these are small areas, I think it would only slightly subtract the price. Have you heard them?

I did not know the factory was offering updated crossovers for the CW I, which went out of production about 24 years ago. Colter (Mike) is the person who will know.

As far as Heresy Vs. Cornwall, the Corns sound better, period, and sound better at low volumes, if you are concerned about the neighbors.

As far as the power required, Forum members are all over the map, some are running SETs with less than 3 watts and some like me have 7.1 HT feeding 120 watts per channel. The Corns are very efficient and my opinion is that 30 watts clean power per channel is probably fine. My experience has been that large vented systems, like the Corns, do better with solid-state, and horn-loaded bass (like LaScala, Belle and K-horn) can sound better with tubes. There are a lot of variables and many passionate points of view in this regard.

Let us know how this turns out!

The offer is for $675 including shipping. I'll see what I can negotiate or I'll just wait.....

I can't listen to them since they'll be shipped across the country. I've also never listened to the Cornwalls at all, which makes me think a bit harder. I currently have a RF-35 system, but from what I've read, these should be better.

streyle,

i think i just responded to your craigslist ad (ignore that e-mail - did not know you are a member here). anyways, I will glady have you and LarryC over in the very near future - I just that i've been traveling much for work and I also have family in town - if you can wait a week or two - i will definitely have you guys over.

streyle,

i think i just responded to your craigslist ad (ignore that e-mail - did not know you are a member here). anyways, I will glady have you and LarryC over in the very near future - I just that i've been traveling much for work and I also have family in town - if you  can wait a week or two - i will definitely have you guys over.

That would be greatly appreciated!

That's a real good price, but shipping them, I wouldn't............wait, get something local.......I like Heresy's but, they are different than Cornwalls...

Is there much risk to getting damages? The seller says he uses Forward Airline and has never had a problem shipping speakers/motorcycles, etc.

That's a real good price, but shipping them, I wouldn't............wait, get something local.......I like Heresy's but, they are different than Cornwalls...

Is there much risk to getting damages? The seller says he uses Forward Airline and has never had a problem shipping speakers/motorcycles, etc.

What do you expect him to say ? Those look real nice in the picture, I would hate to see them damaged at all. That's a good price with shipping included, it's your money, do what you think is best........they are BIG speakers !!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMy first pair of Corns was from e-bay and the seller and I discussed the shipping in great detail., They arrived, Fed Ex ground in used single wall cartons (not Klipsch) with bubble wrap. They had 4 crushed corners and a hook gouge. The seller refunded half my shipping. Oh, BTW, FedEx wanted ME to send them back to them in the original packaging, so they could 'examine them'. Not a chance!

My 2nd pair were bought from a forum member. He used Craters & Freighters and they arrived on a skid, shrink wrapped, bubble wrapped in heavy cartons. No damage.

I bought a pair from ebay about 2 years ago and I threw out a bid of $500 never thinking I would get them; lo and behold I did and they are a perfect complement to my '64 Khorns. I am like a lot of these guys--wait. Mine were in great shape, no dings, scratches or torn covers; a small water ring on top where someone probably put a plant but other than that, great. I just moved to South florida and I supervised the packing of my Khorns and Cornwalls-especially the Khorns because of the fragile cane on front and sides. That stuff gets brittle after 40 years. I hooked them up initially to my Onkyo receiver and thought things didn't sound right--I was right. I just hooked them up to my vintage--'64 Sansui 1000 tube amp--and now all things are right with the world. I was the guy who was raving just a few months back about what a difference that tube amp made in the sound of these speakers--I am forever amazed. It took me a long time to finally get my feet wet in the tube world and thought the tube talk was all bs; boy was I wrong. Even this old outshines that high end Onkyo--by a long shot.
I would not pay what that guy wants for those particulars Cornwalls. Ironically I just moved from Minneapolis.

Yeah, I plan to start with my HK receiver and I'm sure I'll start exploring tubes at some point.

I guess I should have jumped all over a pair I saw in Philly in much better shape for $600. Oh well, I'll keep checking here and craigslist and other places daily.

Ok, I just bought a pair of Heresys off ebay for a decent price $355, so I'm going to try these out.

I'm also working on finding a pair of Cornwall speakers. If I do find a pair, would the Heresy be good for surrouns? If not, I'll offer them up here for what I paid for them...