Center and surrounds to match CW II

Jack Dotson

I've just about decided that I must leave the CW II's in my main system. Yes, they even bettered the Zu's which I love. Problem is that this is a multi-purpose rig used for both two channel audio and HT, so I need to find a center and surrounds that will mate well with my CW's.

Can anyone provide some recommendations of which speakers would be a good match? Especially the center channel.

Thanks,

Do you have enough room to put another cornwall for the center? How bout the surrounds too?

If you need to go smaller, then you might look into the Heresy.

If the Heresy is too large for the side surrounds, then you might look into the KPT-8001 or the KPT-1201:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/kpt-8001.aspx

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/kpt-1201.aspx

After that, you might consider these:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/ks-525-thx.aspx

Obviously a third CW II would be the best choice, second best choice is a Heresy II. I would go with Heresy II's as surrounds as well if you can swing it. If that is a no go, some speakers from the KG would blend closest to the vintage Heritage products.

How much do those KPT-1201 go for? I didn't see a price.

Good question.

They were presented to us at the pilgrimage this last summer as a possible "heritage surround" speaker. Since they are part of the cinema line, you would need to get into contact with the right people at Klipsch who will then get you in contact with their cinema dealer. I don't think anyone has stepped forward yet who is seriously interested in a purchase so the first few might have a few more steps to take before the precedence is set.

Anyone out there that knows?

I've just about decided that I must leave the CW II's in my main system. Yes, they even bettered the Zu's which I love. Problem is that this is a multi-purpose rig used for both two channel audio and HT, so I need to find a center and surrounds that will mate well with my CW's.

Can anyone provide some recommendations of which speakers would be a good match? Especially the center channel.

Thanks,

My brother has a pair of Horizontal Cornwalls he is thinking of selling. He bought the cabinets from a musician who had pulled all the drivers out to use for PA. He got them Oak Veneered and bought all new drivers and Xovers about 20 years ago. They should work really well for you in the center. I'm sure someone else would buy the other one who is in the same boat. Email or PM me if interested.

Thanks for all the responses so far, but I did forget to add that I'm working with some serious space constraints. I have a large entertainment center between the CW's and my only options are to place it in the rack just below my TV, or a space that's approximately 28"W x 11"H above.

To make matters even worse, we have an open floor plan from the living room (where the CW's are) to the kitchen and breakfast areas. I've been using a pair of Sonance in ceilings which are barely to the rear of the listening position.

The living room ceiling is ~ 14', but there is a drop of 2' to the kitchen area and there is a partial wall at the top of the ceiling where I might be able to add something better than in-ceilings.

This is one of the reasons I've been wanting to audition the RF-83's so badly. I knew that I could pretty easily match them for HT performance, but I do so love the sound of the Heritage line and it seems most think the 83's would be quite a step down.

Too bad! You would think the speakers would actually improve as the years and technology's advance. Just goes to show how great Paul's original designs were to start with.

Anyhow, thanks again and please keep the responses coming. I'm open to all ideas and suggestions.