New to Home Theater

Cheerdude

--- I had posted this in the Home Theater forum, but I believe that that was the wrong group to ask. (Seeing that I didn't get any response)

Hi all...

I am in the process of setting up my DVD/Home Theater system for the first time. While I have a decent TV (WEGA 27"), I do not have any other component (save for a TiVo and a couple-year old Sony VCR)

So... in looking online, I beieve that I found the DVD player that I want (Sony DVP-NS500V) for a good price ($ 240). Any comments about this player would be appreciated... however, my questions start when I was looking for receivers/speakers.

I currently live in a one-bedroom apartment. Reason that I mention this is that, with the area that I have available... a speaker system may seem/sound too overwhelming for the space. This is not to say that I couldn't get/use speakers... but just as a "side note."

So... in looking at receivers/speakers, I came across what, at first glance, looks to be an answer to my space problems. Sony MDR-DS5100 : Advanced Headphone System with DTS Digitial Surround Sound ($ 309). It seems that it would be a good alternative to a 5/6-speaker system; realizing of course, that it probably could not match the sound quality.

So... what do you think? What would you do in my situation? Get the player and headphones and save up for a speaker system; like the Quintet?

Thanks,

Jeff

PS - With my limited experience in Home Theater speakers, I would like to get a package deal instead of buying individual speakers (or sets). I notice that Klipsch has the Qunitet system; which seem like it would fit well with the area that I current have. Any opinions - or comparions with the Sony speaker systems?

i might just be biased but i do not care for sony speakers or receivers. i like just about all the rest but not sony receivers.. pink noise is a problem. the speakers are not made as well as klipsch and klipsch has horn loaded tweeters... that sold me, i gotta have my horns! LoL!

i have had the quintets and they just KILLED my brothers 800-1200watt full sized sony speakers system with i beleive a 10-12 (maybe even 15 inch, the box that held it was about 1.5 feet by 2 feet) inch woofer, then two front towers with on 8 inch, one 5 inch and maybe one more mid sized speaker and then a 1.5 inch tweeter.. the rears you can not see the speakers but using the light at an angel looked like a 5 inch speaker and that was it.. the center had a 1.5 inch tweeter and two 4-5 inch woofers.. basically this sounded like childs play compared to my quintets and seemed like toddlers compared to teh Synergy 6 system.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Jeff,

Well I dont have any experience with any "Advanced" super duper headphones but if you dont want to make noise good headphones can help.

I would not get any "sourround" Sony headphones but a good ole Sennheiser HD565 or up.Much better sound quality(beats any speakers under 10 grand no bull).

As for the DVD player...most inexpensive units these days have good picture and sound quality.Sony makes good units so go with the Sony.

TheEAR(s) Now theears