Just got my new oppo DV-980H DVD player - WOW

wuzzzer

My receiver does not have HDMI inputs, so all signal is via the 6 analog inputs. I don't think I could discern small differences in hi-rez sound across different players. I have always thought that any multi-channel music was great, whether hi-rez analog or DD5.1 or DTS. I would be hard pressed to distinguish between a good 2-channel stereo recording on CD vs. hi-rez. Multichannel recordings sound great, but then that is due to the separation and rear effects in the mixing, rather than frequency range, sampling rate, etc. I personally have doubts about anyone's claim about discriminating between hi-rez signals over analog vs. HDMI connections, as long as the signal is being processed correctly. In sum, I don't think you could go wrong with this player. I like the idea of a "boutique" company like Oppo who puts all their effort into a small line of products, has great support, firmware upgrades, etc..

Is it worth spending over $200 on this player when I only plan to use the upconverting portion? All my sound will be sent through the reveiver and I will not be listening to any special format cds (SACD, etc)?

Or should I just get a Sony (or other $100) upconverting?