the times, they are a changin'

strutter

i went to a concert last night. the first one I've been to in about 5 years. the first time for both my teenagers.i highly recommend anyone who has them to go and share a concert experience with your kids.(make sure it's music you all like though). it was nickelback, puddle of mudd and finger eleven. i don't know if its a thing with the newer bands or just a sign of the times but instead of flicking their bic everyone waived their lit up cell phones in the air. the bands have changed their request from "let me see your lighters" to "show me your phone"

perhaps it's because everyone has a cell phone these days. perhaps its a sign that smoking has been reduced so much than no one carries a lighter any more.

an amphitheater full of cell phone lights just doesn't have the visual impact that a sea of flames does.

any way i just wanted to post that observation here, not for any particular reason other than to document yet another instance where i have realized i am getting old.

BTW, i did waive my phone, don't have a lighter.

• Moderators

What a great outing with your teenagers.....I didn't know about the "cell phone" thing either....must seem strange.

And no.....I don't think cell phones could possible have the same visual impact as a "sea of flames".[:(]

I try not to think about the "getting old" thing too often![;)]

It probably depends on what you see. I was at a Tool showlast year and there was no shortage of lighters.

I agree Kev -

I saw Widespread Panic twice over the past year and there was no shortage of lighters.

(as well as other smoldering items)

there was some "other smoldering items" floating around. not as much as i expected for an outdoor event.

good to hear not everyone is doing the cell phone thing. but i wonder if this is an indication of a coming trend.

last show i was at was ozzfest and before that the kiss reunion tour. there was no shortage of bic flicking there either.