The Sound of Tubes

kkerley33

Shepjk and I drove to Cincy today to pick up some La Scala's and a Tube Amp. He has the La Scala's at his place to finish out his La Scala HT and the tube Amp is up and running...its sweet.

Guess its time to change the system profiles. LOL

2004 La Scala's w/AL4 upgrades, Anthem Amp 1, HK45, Pioneer DV-633A, Paradigm PS1200

JBSL,

I went down to buy the amp, he went to buy the LS's.

It was an anthem Amp 1. Uses EL34's and throws out a very underated 40WPC. I ran it A/B vs a Harman 55 WPC Solid State Amp and the Tubes click for click blew away the Solid State in terms of output. (could be because factory default setting on the Tube Amp though is +24dB). I paid $500.

Shep picked up the LS's. He is going to use one as a center for his HT. He now has 5 all around. I paid him half for the other, they both need a little work. The cabs were in a 7/10. Both had nicks on the corners, but were otherwise void of any gouges, cracks, dents, etc. They were painted black, but it was over lacquer so it will strip easilty. They were 79's..non-sequential serial #'s. One was also missing a tweet, but the owner gave us 2 Electro Voice T35's for replacements. We paid $500 total.

What else you need to know. :-)

KAK

Glad to see you are enjoying the tube amp. I think my road trips are done for a little while unless a deal comes up I can't refuse. My quest for a lascala ht has come to a close. The pair I got from Trey is almost finished and so I will finally have surrounds again. The one
I got this weekend I have not decided if I want to reveener it or just repaint it black and add some quarter round to the top and a grill. My wife likes how the all black center offsets the cherry lascalas and the cherry entertainment center so we will see. Kyle is a great guy and its is nice to finally meet someone in the local vicinity that also enjoys Klipsch speakers.

Sounds like a very productive road trip!!

Careful tube amps lead down a whole nother level of The Madness!!

You'll know when you have gone totaly MAD when your wife/girlfriend ask why you bought a tube blender or tube toaster or tube remote control and that is your sign to get help but it is too late because your totaly mad[:S][:P]!

JBSL,

I just committed to buying an Anthem Tube Pre to match the Anthem Amp 1, and have already been looking at the Musical Fidelity X-10v.3 Tube buffers to run between my Ipod Docking Station and my CD player. Add to that the free Turntable I picked up, and I am looking for a Tube Pre Phono too.

I keep telling my self baby steps and the wife says one thing a month. September starts in 45 hrs. LOL

KAK

I have a MF X-10v3 tube buffer that I usually run from my cd player to my preamp but the last couple of days been using it with my preamp to my tube amp.

I have really liked the MF X-10v3 with my NAD C542 cd player. The right way to describe what it does is it gives the cd player a touch of the tube sound. By that it smooths things out and takes the edge off the sound. When I've taken it out the sound is a bit more flat and with it the sound it a bit more full.

I had a chance to bring home a Jolida tube cd player(no upgrades or upgraded tubes) and compare it to just my NAD C542. The Jolida was the better player except for the highs but with a different tube that could have fixed that. However it was not that drasticly better to make me want to buy the Jolida and sell my NAD C542. I did not think it was $400 better but with the right tube it might have been.

That is when I decided to try the MF X-10v3 and it has worked great for me. I would suggest getting the tube preamp first and then if you still feel the need to tame the IPod then try the X10v3.

With my Denon 2900 dvd player I don't hear any difference. The 2900 has a very laid back sound to it(which helps with bad recordings) while the C542 has a more detailed but digital sound so the X10v3 works better or is more obvious of a improvement with the C542.

For now try the tube preamp.

post-13699-13819344244306_thumb.jpg

I was running an Anthem Pre1L in my system with my Magnepans long before I stumbled into Klipsch. Even after trying different units, one always seemed to find its way back into my system -- three times to be exact. The Amp1 is a good sounding amp, and that combo can leave you satisfied for a long time (if you let it.:) I don't have any experience with the MV X-10v3, but with that setup I don't see why you would need it.

I agree with DeanG just get the preamp.

The X10v3 will not give a cd player or SS preamp the same tube sound that a quality tube cd player or tube preamp will give you. For me it was a experiment that worked out and gave my cd player's sound a hint of the tube sound that smoothed things out a bit which was enough for me. Back when I bought my NAD C542 cd player if I had the money for the Jolida tube cd player I would have gotten the Jolida instead of the C542.

You have done some serious upgrades with La Scalas, tube amp and now tube preamp so just enjoy it. Upgrades are always going to be there so enjoy what you have first.

" and the wife says one thing a month" I think you should make sure she is happy also not very many spouses that understanding about this hobby/Addiction!

JBSL.

I am making sure the wife is happy. She has been on a CD buying blitz as well. She likes to listen a lot "oldies". Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, etc so she is loving the new sound as well and with the recent gift of a turntable, my immediate need is a pre phono section. We have a vintage record store down the street that sells new as well as old vinyl and hardly anything in the store is over $12.00 with most LP's under $5 and they have a huge $.50 section as well.

KAK