First Run "A" Stock

mysterymeat

I see this on many of the eBay offerings. What does it mean or not mean:

This is a new, factory sealed, first run "A" stock unit purchased from an authorized dealer.

what does this mean? is there "B" stock? how can one tell A's from B's?

are there factory "blems"? with enclosure blemishes?

B stock can be "refurbished" to factory spec. and may or may not have been sold and returned. Sometimes B stock might mean "open box" which was purchased and returned in new condition. Sometimes it can be a scratch and dent item.

Usually an item that has been refurbished will have some indication on the carton. Also, some B stock items will have a shorter warranty period.

Anyway, Ebay sellers make alot of the issue because so many B stock items are purchased and resold on Ebay as A stock.

I thought generally "B-Stock" meant that it was damaged or not working right after production and then brought back to spec in the factory. An example would be a unit that fell off the assembly line and needed repair, or say a unit that didn't appear to output any sound in QA and need to be fixed.

I thought "refurbished" was a customer return that has been fixed up to factory spec.

I'm probably wrong. You're right about Ebay though...you really never know what you're getting. It could even be a clever knock-off, although the complexity of an item usually makes it harder to forge.