anyone happy with bass traps?

masterxela

without going into great deal about my specific situation, did anyone have severe peaks due to room problems in the sub-100hz range, and get substantial results using inexpensive bass traps?

no, I cannot experiment with sub placement, because my subs aren't even down there yet... just the rf-7's going crazy. I can stand a floor above and play music, and one very narrow frequency band between 60 and 100hz (by ear) absolutely shakes the floor. room is a solid concrete rectangle about 12x23x7

I'm in a temporary setting now, so anything immovable, or specific to this room is not possible. thanks

Well, let's start by clearing up what appears to be a misconception.

Bass traps will not rectify and sound shaking the floor.

Traps are NOT effective for resolving mechanical vibration.

They ae for resolving room modes where, due to room dimensions, certain wavelengths will establish resonances - a persistence in time - manifested in a muddy bass response. Through the use of bass traps you will simply notice a much 'tighter' transient response to the bass and less room induced persistence/boominess.

Addressing shaking floors and mechanica vibrations and sound transmission issues have nothing to do with traps.

Those issues are addressed by decoupling mechanical systems and the appplication of mass.

As far as generic bass traps, I would suggest using 2 or 4" thick OC705 semi-rigid fiberglass or Roxul Rockboard 60 , cutting the 2x4 panels in half into 2x2 pieces, and then cutting the panels diagonally in half again.

These individual triangular panels are then stacked horizontally in the rear vertical corners and in the top half of the front corners above the speakers (assuming corner placement). Additionally, this can also be done along the intersection of the wall and ceiling on each side and across the rear of the room. Spray adhesive can be used to hold the panel pieces together if one likes, and then quarter round molding can be applied to the wall at the extents of the fiberglass with burlap, unbleached muslin, or other open weave material stretched across the molding. This will address 80+% of the issues Remaining critical issues can be addresed in a variety of ways, depending upon the specific characterisitcs via such tools as Helmholtz resonators.

Properly done, the quarter round molding can be easily removed and the holed spackled for minimal damage to apartment walls and relocated to a new residence.

without going into great deal about my specific situation, did anyone have severe peaks due to room problems in the sub-100hz range, and get substantial results using inexpensive bass traps?

no, I cannot experiment with sub placement, because my subs aren't even down there yet... just the rf-7's going crazy. I can stand a floor above and play music, and one very narrow frequency band between 60 and 100hz (by ear) absolutely shakes the floor. room is a solid concrete rectangle about 12x23x7

I'm in a temporary setting now, so anything immovable, or specific to this room is not possible. thanks

It is not clear to me what the problem is. Is it that objects in the room are shaking (pictures etc) or are you "feeling" vibration through the floor or what? If these are the symptoms then, as suggested, the issue is to decouple the cabinets (or the objects).

Good Luck,

-Tom

Bass traps will need to be very thick in order to attenuate effectively down that low in frequency (like think 3 feet). Helmholtz resonators might be a better approach, but you should have some measuring equipment so that you can dial it in just right (otherwise the HR doesn't do anything).