Surround Speaker Placement Issues

papashawn

I'm moving into a new house and it is posing a problem with my surround speaker locations. Previously I was able to have both surround speakers sitting roughly 1.5' above my head and almost directly to the side of me, maybe 5 degrees towards the rear. Now, my living room is nearly completely open on one whole side with the exception of the butt end of one wall that is only about 8'-0" from the wall that my TV and Main speakers will sit along, and the other small portion of wall is at least 16'-0" or more from that same TV wall. In one case, the surround speakers would be mounted to the wall slightly in front of me (and this can't be good). In the other case, the speakers would be a good bit behind me, not ideal, but I'm thinking this would be better than slightly to the front. BTW, my surrounds are the KG2.5's in my signature, so they're monopole and will be pointing at the center of my couch which will be the optimal listening position. I'm not a huge HT nut, mainly my 5 speaker setup is for multichannel and I definitely don't have room for more Forte's in the back. Do you think having them that far to the rear will have a negative affect on listening to multichannel music?

I agree, neither are good solutions. I would recommend building some custom speaker stands that can handle the weight of the KG2.5's. Home Depot should be able to hook you up with the materials you need. Most of the commercial stands can handle speakers up to 10 lbs. I use the Omnimount speaker stands I bought at Radio Shack for my RB10's. that are 48 inches high. Good luck!

Steve, that's a very nice stand you've made. What type of wood did you use for the verticals? I may be able to put something like this together and just put the speakers wherever I want. I bought a pair of wall mounts so I had been set on using them. I didn't even think of making stands. This should make for a much better setup than I was expecting. Thanks!

Shawn,

I bought all the wood at Home Depot and I think the uprights are popler. I made the base with 2X4 laying on there side and making a mitored corner box then covering it with a piece of plywood and just wall trim around the side. then I built the uprights as a box, if you look closely you can see the bottom piece of the upright box. Then attached another piece of plywood to the top and trimed it out. The speaker just sits on top it is not connected to the stand. The 2X4 base gave it enough wieght that it is very stable. I probable should secure the speaker to the stand but I didn't want to drill holes in the speaker.

Steve

My KG2.5's actually have a small hole drilled in the bottom from their previous owner, he did it to attach them to speaker stands as well. So at least I won't have to drill any new holes. I'm thinking about making the vertical section solid to hide the wires (for the most part). How large would you say the base is? I know the KG's are about a 9" square footprint, so maybe a 12" square base would be enough to keep them from wobbling. Did you end up painting the stands black to match the speaker, or another color to match the room? Thanks again for all this info, I'll be much happier with these things sitting right where they belong, instead of where my walls would allow.

Shawn,

I am sort of embarassed to say that I have not paited them black yet. I did fill all the holes and sand them down, put a good coat of primer (white) but that is where I stopped. So right now they are primer white waiting to be paited black to match the speakers.

I think I made the base 12" square, I will have to messure them when I get home next week.

If you want more pictures and mesurments let me know and I will get them to you.

Steve