KSW 15 Feedback

derrick929

Was wondering if anyone knew why I would be getting feedback from my sub after I turn off my receiver. Have the front two speakers wired through the speaker level inputs on the sub and the sub output from receiver going into the sub. Tried it without the sub.output from the reciver disconnected and it still does it. It starts what sound like a humming or fluttering, pretty impressive, shakes the walls and windows. The auto on won't work and the signal is very low if you just connect the sub output from the receiver. The only way to get any volume out of it is to connect the front channel through it. Any ideas?

I wouldn't be surprised if the RCA inputs are bad. You should have a lot more output from the RCA inputs. I had a KSW 12, and I know 2 people with the KSW 15, and none of them exhibited this behavior. We had them all hooked up through the RCA inputs only. Try to exchange it for a different one and see if you have the same problems.

What receiver do you have?

Bryan

------------------

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi VS60603 60" RPTV

Denon AVR 3802 Receiver

Denon DVM 1800 DVD Changer

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV Satellite Tuner

Klipsch RB5 - Mains

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall Surrounds

Velodyne SPL1200 Subwoofer

Monster HTS1000 Power Conditioner

Acoustic Research Pro Series Interconnects

This question has been covered in the past, so I'm not going to go in much detail here...

Your problem is due to the fact that with the electronics "OFF", the main loudspeakers are acting like a microphone and feeding signal (noise) to the speaker level inputs on the subwoofer. This can cause feedback if the subwoofer is located to close to one of the main loudspeakers.

There are two solutions. One is to simply position the subwoofer further away from the main speakers. The other is to use the line level inputs on the subwoofer. This takes the subwoofer out of the same signal path as the mains.

Kerry