K-55

kg4guy

"Will a K-55 work in place of the K-53 on the Heresy 11's without crossover changes? I know the K-55 is screw on and not bolt so I have the K-700 horn to replace the plastic bolt on in the Heresy 11's "

Another factor to consider is the 700 vs 701 horn shape. In the Heresy II the mid horn lens is shaped to sit on the woofer. The 700 is straight across the bottom of the lens. I haven't done this but you may want to check clearance issues with the different horn lenses.

Harry

Pulled out a spare pair of 700's and 55's and did some measurements on my H-II's. The last of the H-I's used the K-53/701 bolted inside (701 curve cutout on the bottom), but used the E-2 crossover. You have a number of signicicant problems here: First, the H-II's use a different crossover because of the K-76 tweeter as well as the K-53. Second, the 700's won't fit correctly on the H-II motor board, and you will probably have to grind out the "curve", thus ruining the value of the horn. Also the flange is not quite correct in the screw patterns. So, say you stick with the plastic 701. Is there an adapter plug for the 55 compression driver to allow bolt on? probably, but it will cause the driver to extend into the rear panel, and worse, you have changed the geometry of the throat where the driver bolts. Unless you just want to fool around and start cutting, drilling, etc., it's not worth it (at all), and will sound, as I mentioned, real "funny". Let's say you wanted to go for broke and remove the motor board and make a H-I board. That's a pain... and removal of the board on the H-II will usually (if not always) result in tearing up the cabinet.

Do you really want a pair of H-I's? Are your H-II's in very good condition? PM me; I have a pair of very good condition H-I's HBR that you might like. Something to think about.