CORNWALL BUILD!! NEED K 600 SUBSTITUTE!!!!

DIXIEWELDER

I BOUGHT SOME 83 MODEL CORNWALL CABINETS (THANK YOU VERY MUCH BHENDRIX YOUR THE BEST) AND CAN'T FIND ANY K600 HORN LENSES!

IS THERE A GOOD SUBSTITUTE FOR THEM? DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY FOR SALE?

I'M GOING TO USE ALL BOB CRITES COMPONENTS! GOTTA SUPPORT MY ARKY LOCAL GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT ABOUT SITTING A K401 ON TOP!!!!!!!

LOOKING AT SOME ALTEC LENSES TOO!!!!!!!

USING SOME K55X DRIVERS!!!

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU

JOSH

MASTER MASON

Josh,

Bob Crites has a nice horn for the Cornwall. It drops to around 500hz and is very smooth. It is wider than the stock K-600 and would require enlarging the opening on the motorboard. It's very smooth if you have a large enough room. I used it for a month or so and like the blend very much but I've got a small room and it was a bit overpowering.

You might also consider the K-601. It uses the K-52 driver and would only require a different configuration on the crossover. Still available from Klipsch and requires no alteration to the cabinet. Very close to the same performance as the K-600 and K-55.

Harry

Might be a good idea to check with Bob on the depth of those horns. I remember him talking about one horn he was using (he has used more than one in the Cornscala builds). As I remember, one of the horns with K55 attached required making the depth of the Cornscala cab slightly deeper than the CW cab... half inch or so.

May not be a problem at all with this horn. Also, if it is an issue, the fit issue was close enough that it might be solved with the horn mounted from the front of the motorboard.

One more thought, that K55X driver, does that have a flat rear? (in contrast with the weather proof dome on other K55's} If so, it's profile might be helpful in the tight fit.

I've heard that horn in Bob's lab and thought the sound was good AND it also is a cool looking element in the speaker.

Might be a good idea to check with Bob on the depth of those horns. I remember him talking about one horn he was using (he has used more than one in the Cornscala builds). As I remember, one of the horns with K55 attached required making the depth of the Cornscala cab slightly deeper than the CW cab... half inch or so.

May not be a problem at all with this horn. Also, if it is an issue, the fit issue was close enough that it might be solved with the horn mounted from the front of the motorboard.

One more thought, that K55X driver, does that have a flat rear? (in contrast with the weather proof dome on other K55's} If so, it's profile might be helpful in the tight fit.

I've heard that horn in Bob's lab and thought the sound was good AND it also is a cool looking element in the speaker.

Dee,

I too listened to them at Bob's, in the test box A/B with a K400 and thought they sounded pretty darn good. Definitely better than a K600. I know we put some in a CW clone bin at Hope '06. They fit. I assumed the box was stock size ID. ??

Wish I had some K600's to lend Josh for a month or two. I feel it important that he develops a (stock) listening reference before any changes are made.

My 600's are plugging the holes in my CW bins.

tc

post-13095-13819344815548_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Terry, that woofer looks very low in the cabinet. I measured the horns that I got from Bob/Bill and with the woofer in stock position on a CW, there is just enough room for a strip of motor board behind the top and bottom flange on these horns.

Getting set to ship them tonight !

Michael

Terry, that woofer looks very low in the cabinet. I measured the horns that I got from Bob/Bill and with the woofer in stock position on a CW, there is just enough room for a strip of motor board behind the top and bottom flange on these horns.

Getting set to ship them tonight !

Michael

Michael,

If those strips are narrow, I am wondering if it would be wise to screw in some square steel tubing? Say 1/2"x1/2", and run them east and west across the motor board, but not touching the sides. I think that Josh had planned to brace them anyway. What do you think?

tc

Dee,

I too listened to them at Bob's, in the test box A/B with a K400 and thought they sounded pretty darn good. Definitely better than a K600. I know we put some in a CW clone bin at Hope '06. They fit. I assumed the box was stock size ID. ??

Wish I had some K600's to lend Josh for a month or two. I feel it important that he develops a (stock) listening reference before any changes are made.

My 600's are plugging the holes in my CW bins.

tc

Nice Sqawker[:P][:D]

HEY ALL!!! COLTER DID YOU GET MY EMAIL?

FINISHED THE CABINETS! STAINED WITH MINWAX RED OAK #215 OIL BASE AND SEALED WITH MINWAX HAND RUB POLY (6 COATS)!!!!

LOOK LIKE GLASS TABLES WITH COLOR SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!

JUST NEED TO CUT OUT FOR MID HORN LENS AND NEW SPEAKER TERMINAL AND I'LL BE DONE!!!!

FRONT MOUNT OR REAR MOUNT ON THE DRIVERS?

THANKS

JOSH

....that pic of the Cornscala is one of two cabinets I custom built for Bob Crites. If anyone is interested, I have acess to a CNC and can build:

1) Full cabinets, raw or veneered, custom or "stock"

2) Custom motorboards (as an example, I built "Cornfortes" for myself)

3) Cornscala motor boards

4) Cornwall vertical motor boards

All motorboards come painted or unpainted as requested, and are predrilled for driver screws, so installation is a snap.

Chris

Dixiewelder:

Sending you an email on the cabinets. The motorboards are stapled and/or nailed on with a nail gun; I would not know if they are glued or not. YOu can see on Bob's Cornscalas that I put screw holes around the periphery per his request, so he could change out the motorbioard as desired.

Chris

HOW MUCH FOR A PAIR OF CABINETS LIKE BOBS YOU BUILT? RAW.

HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE MOTOR BOARDS FROM SOME 83 CORNWALL I ?

THEY LOOK LIKE THEY ARE STAPLED FROM THE FRONT AROUND THE EDGES THROUGH THE MOTOR BOARD!

Josh,

I asked the same question about my '75's a few years ago. Andy 'hornbuilder", who built CW's in Hope, advised against it. Unlike earlier models, the motor boards are glued and stapled into the port shelves. I got the impression that one would end up with a pile of plywood when finished.

tc