Broken Din Connector/Preamp Connection Work Around

dctrmac

Cant take credit for this work-around as I got the info from this forum. I cant seem to navigate back to the writer who posted prior to give credit where credit is due. However, I too fell victim to the broken Din connector at the end of the connection cable from the control pod (seems to be a common problem from what I read in the forum). I used the following fix which I had gotten from a prior individual's submission and can verify that it does indeed work:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Items needed: small sharp knife, soldering iron, electrical tape, and a 6 ft

keyboard/mouse extension cable (part # 26-149A, $15) from

Radio Shack

The Fix: Cut off the old Din connector from Klipsch cable and cut away a couple

inches of the outer covering to expose individual wires and and

surrounding outer braided silver grounding wire; twist the braided silver

wire together into one; strip a third of an inch or so from the ends of the

individual colored wires; cut the Radio Shack cable at the desired length

from the male end (end with the pins) and then repeat the process of

exposing and stripping the individual colored wires; the Radio Shack

cable also has a small central silver grounding wire; join the wires

using the scheme below and join the grounding wires to one another then

solder each connection to secure; next tape the connection in such a manner

to isolate the individual connections from each other and the grounding wires

Connection Scheme: RS Wire Color Klipsch Wire Color

yellow green

red orange

black brown

brown red

orange yellow

green black

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Post i just resoldered the old connector to make it work but i would have done this, my neighborhood radioshack doesnt carry small electronics parts just premade stuff but this wire transfer is just the ticket Thanx for finding and reposting.

This post should be a sticky, as the part will never arrive, this will be the only recourse to salvage your wonderful speakers.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. The only things I can suggest are to go back and check all the connections and make sure each is secure and also that each one is isolated from the others. Also, make sure the grounds are connected to one another and likewise isolated from the individual connections. dctrmac

thanks dctrmac

You da man, your pin-out worked great on my ProMedia 2.1 THX's.

I used a different pint-out from some other thread and soldered it up and looking pretty today at work and just tested and nothing would work at all.

I cut the cables in half and did a test with your schema and my speakers are back to 100%

I will solder back up with your pin-out tomorrow and be back to normal and didn't have to spend a dime (We had the ps2 extender cables at work).

Thanks again,

p-nut

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great Post. I to fell victim to the broken connector. I followed your instructions and voila - I have a working system again! Thanks.

Klipsch should make the cable available for free. This is obviously a widespread problem for an otherwise good product. The two excuses I have seen don't hold water:- Excuse #1 - people do not want to take apart a component to replace a cable. Klipsch underestimates it's customer. Sure some would not feel comfortable taking the pod apart, but most would. Make the cable available for those you want it and the pod available for those who don't.- Excuse #2 - Klipsch can't catalogue the thousands of components and part which make up each product. Are you serious?? We are not asking you to stock and catalogue each and every part and component. We are asking that you stock and catalogue the one cable that is clearly defective and renders the product unusable. Surely Klipsch can keep track of a cable.

• 3 weeks later...

Than You VERY MUCH!

I Found these pair of speakers on the flea market for only 20 Dollars but the Din Connector was totally Damaged I Came across this and went

back to the flea market got me a Ps/2 Keyboard extension cable for a buck and follow ur instructions and Bam It work Perfectly!!! This speakers are By Far The Best I Had And I Had A Few Like Creative Inspire series,Bose Companions 5 Series II And They not even CLose to as Good!

Thanx

• 1 month later...

i made an account just to thank you for this post xD

the guy at radio shack looked at me like i was crazy.. lol

the main thing that threw me is why the wires are diffrent colors, but i appreciate this thread made for allot less work for me, and the part number was correct i might add

if anyone needs this cable and plug repaired just contact me. I have done probably about 50 of them so far and have more coming. I will repair them for someone from this site for only $18, that includes return shipping, so feel free to ask. or you can fine me on Ebay as mr_clean_ct and purchase it there for just a little bit more.

• 5 months later...

Thank you so much for thia post and these instructions. Before I read tis post, I went Radio Shack and bought the same cable you mention, but I connected the wires by color. Needless to say, it did not work! But it does now!!! My family thinks I am an elecrical engineering genious.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This option is not yet available since i have alot of work to finish first. but when availalbe which will be very soon the cost will be $12 with shipping. I am still doing the replacement plugs on these control pods though if you would like to send it in to me, my cost right now for Klipsch Forum Members is $16.50,. and that does cover return shipping with priorty mail