Broken Din Connector/Preamp Connection Work Around

dctrmac

Hey everyone! Seemingly unlike everyone else, I accidently kicked my woofer and the DIM cable is obviously loose in the jack on the sub. I read this forum and was ready to repair the cable, though, per a Klipsch tech help suggestion, tried headphones plugged into the controller speaker. When the volume on the controller was turned all the way down, I could get some clear sounds out of the headphones, but that sound became filled with static and quickly dropped off as I increased the volume on the controller. From this, the Klipsch tech help said I needed a new controller ($23 + SH, obviously has a new DIM cable as well). This thing with the volume happened even with the DIM cable unplugged from the sub. Do you think I should go ahead with fixing the wire from your instructions, or just purchase a new controller. Thanks!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone describe how to ascertain whether the problem is indeed with the cable or the control pod? I have a GMX 2.1 A. I turn on the subwoofer and hear a click. The control pod does not light up. I get no sound from the speakers. How can you tell if this is a subwoofer issue, a DIN cable issue or a control pod issue? Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

I am having the same problem as many have indicated on this site. After many years of very light use my Klipsch 4.2 v2-400 promedia system just stopped working. I tried repairing it and would like your assistance.

Are you still charging $16? Please let me know the cheapest and most efficient way to get this fixed.

Thanks,

Andy

Hey Andy, if it is the DIN plug then i can certainly fix that, but my charge for the 4.1 type systems is usually $32.50, I would cut you a deal on that price though, and I can also test the plug prior to replacement just to make sure that is what it needs. My charge for Testing is only $7.00 plus return shipping of $6.00. So if that sounds like something you are interested in then let me know and I can set that up for you.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

" Connection Scheme: RS Wire Color Klipsch Wire Color

yellow green

red orange

black brown

brown red

orange yellow

green black"

OK. The reason the wiring is wanky: There is a standard color code in electronics where Black is 0, Brown is 1, Red=2, Orange=3, Yel=4, Grn=5, blu=6, pur=7, grey=8, and white=9.

So the pins are numbered 1-6, and wires are numbered (by color) 0-5. There are 2 logical ways to deal with this. 1-1, 2-2...5-5, 6-0, or 0-1, 1-2, 2-3, ...5-6.

Radio Shack chose the 0-1 way (their black goes to pin 1), and Klipsch chose the 1-1...6-0 way (their brown goes to pin 1 and they go back and pick up black at pin 6 when they are out of other colors).

There's no guarentee which system any particuar keyboard/mouse plug uses (based on the number of people claiming success using this guide, I'd say the RS scheme is comon, but not guarenteed). So if it doesn't work using this wiring chart, try it straight color to color... Maybe you have the other type.

or rather than risking damaging your system you can just buy the wiring scheme that is guaranteed to be correct here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Repair-cable-for-Klipsch-ProMedia-2-1-Control-Pod-DIY_W0QQitemZ180397259656QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Speakers?hash=item2a0083bb88&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

If you write to me direct I will get you a Klipsch Community Discount which will get you a repair cable to your door for only $10, and I ship within 24 hours.

Hey guys I follwed these instructions perfectly several times and I cant manage to get it to work right. When I hooked it up and try to play some tunes I get very little volume of out the speakers even at full blast and pretty much nothing out of the woofer. And even weirder is that the volume control on the pod is backwards, when you turn the volume to max it acctually turns the volume down. Any suggestions????

-Mister_Clean I may be ordering one of your new cables here shortly.

The instructions from the first post are spot on. I even did the soldering whilst drunk (stupid, I know) and it works great. Awesome for those who have the inclination and don't want to wait. If you have any patience though, go with Mister_Clean, he's got a great rep and is the resident expert in these matters. By the way, thanks to all involved in this thread as my wife almost made me get rid of these fine speakers since they were broken.

• 1 month later...

This is great,thanks dctrmac !

My Klipsch Promedia 2.1 is alive again !

I used an Belkin keyboard extension cable ,no problem until now ( about 12 h) .

Somebody asked if this can be done using an mouse wire ....IT CAN'T ! The mouse has no grounding wire ! And the colours don't match .

Thanks again for this great solution ,excuse my bad english and good luck to you all !

• 3 weeks later...

yes, this can be arranged, but I would rather you just sent the pod, not the speaker, it will cost you over $10.00 more to ship the speaker with the pod rather than just the pod. But Ican help you out, my charge for Forum members is only $17 and that covers return shippping with Priority Mail and a lifetime guarantee on the connector I will install. you can email me at damagetone@aim.com

Thanks

• 2 months later...

so i put the cables together as u said, correct colors and everything. it works in the sense that i can hear sound coming from my speakers and sub just fine, but there is a moderate amount of distortion coming from the speakers. i was wondering if any 1 has experienced this and maybe had a fix to it?

• 1 year later...

Thanks to all who shared their tips, especially to gibletpie, who enlighted me about using the StarTech cable. As gibletpie said, this cable has the same color coding as the original Klipsch din plug (though on mine the blue = Klipsch's black). I got a 10 ft. one from Amazon for $6.99 (free shipping) and saved quite a bit by not needing to replace the control pod altogether.

After using some old PC speakers while waiting for the fix and hearing the Klipsch Promedia again today, I can tell you it is like night and day! Thanks again, everyone.

• 8 months later...

I know this is an old thread but It worked for me. I was going to trash it and I actually purchased some Logitech cpu speakers in its place. I came across this old thread, purchased the ps2 extender from rat shack and it worked like a charm. Now the logitechs will have to go! Belated thanks to the OP!!