Thoughts on CF-4s

J M O N

I've come across a set of CF-4 and have given them some thought. I've read in the archives how there were three different version of the CF-4 (or maybe only two). I think I've confirmed that these are the latest version, which seems to be the least desirable. Any thoughts on if these may be worth picking up? I don't think I've ever heard a pair. I'd listen to these before buying but it's not that close so before I make a trip I'd like to get some feedback.

Your thoughts?

Price on these are TBD at this point. They are being sold as a set with a center and surrounds. I'd really only be interested in the CF-4s. Any thoughts on a price range for the third generation of CF-4s that are supposed to be in pretty good overall condition?

I know one sale doesn't determine price but..

Ovation here in Greenwood took in a pair on trade-in consignment a few months back. They sat there for a couple of months with a $900 price tag on them. They finally sold for $500. They're a very good sounding speaker BTW. Deep and smooth. I'm not sure which series they were. They were in super nice condition. I looked them over pretty close and listened to them at least a half-dozen times. I liked them a lot.

Harry

Make certain they are in excellent working condition.

The CF-4 may be one of the speakers that we're starting to run out of parts for. That is one reason for the new 'serial number' request when ordering Klipsch parts. We want to reserve them for owners of genuine Klipsch speakers. We have kept many parts well beyond the legal 7 year limit but some are running low and vendors cannot supply new inventory.

You could call ahead to parts at 1-800-554-7724 to check availablity of woofers and horn diaphragms.

They are supposed to be in excellent working condition. I haven't seen or heard them yet, but if that is the case I'm not too worried. As long as I don't abuse them (and I don't), Klipsch speakers can last a lifetime.

Any other comments on what they might be worth? They are supposed to be in perfect operating condition and just some very minor cosmetics blemishes with a cherry finish.

The CF-4's may have been a precursor to the KLF-30s but the CF-4s are a two-way design with the cones providing most, if not all, of the midrange while the KLF-30s are a three-way design with a dedicated compression driver & horn covering the midrange. That's akin to comparing apples to oranges in my book. I've never heard a pair of CF-4s personally, but I know I've liked/chosen the sound of a compression driver & horn over a cone for the midrange time and time again so I suppose it would remain the same here as well.

H2G

Yes, it's a 2-way... but one of the best 2-ways I have ever heard.

While both the CF-4's and KLF-30's have the same effeciency (102 db), the CF-4's can handle another 100w (300w max) and can dish it out on the other end. I have heard both (and like you prefer a 3-way... all my speakers are 3-way), and will take the CF-4's any day of the week. ymmv...

Mike