Co-Worker Rescue Mission: Dyna & AR from his dads' basement...

jtnfoley

AR Series 2As are in pretty rough shape, major de-lamination from humidity... Same humidity may have effected the amp, pre-amp, and tuner... a very little surface rust and oxide spots.

Since I'm likely to be the next person to power up at least the Stereo 70 (and maybe the pre-amp,) is there anything I should look for (besides documenting the connections and electrical condition?) I'm an old hand with a VOM and know which end of an oscilloscope is up, but have literally NO experience bench testing audio gear.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You really should use a variac to power up that amp or you could do some damage depending on how long its been since its been powered up. I know that there is a way to put together a DYI variac but I am not sure how to do it. I bet if used the search function you might find some info on it.

Josh

Congrats. Nice find. You may find Telefunkens on that PAS-3! Many know more than me, but you may want to re-seat those tubes a few times before lighting them up. I had to learn to back off old stuff and not jump in with both feet too fast - lesson learned the hard way. Watch out for glowing tubes and keep your hand near the plug just in case. CHECK THE POWER CORD BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING. Dryrot can ruin your day. Sit back and be patient. Tube nirvana is not achieved overnight. However, many of us dream of finding gear like that. If you have the resources, professional guidance can mitigate a broken heart. Again, NICE SCORE! This is a fun hobby that keeps on giving. If you just like music, different systems will affect you differently, emphasizing different characteristics of the same recording. Only when you can afford your passion, will you have arrived, despite what you spend.

I recently spoke with some folks about cycling. It seems that unless you have the latest gear, you risk being ostracized. Audio should not be that way.

You really should use a variac to power up that amp or you could do some damage depending on how long its been since its been powered up. I know that there is a way to put together a DYI variac but I am not sure how to do it. I bet if used the search function you might find some info on it.

Josh

Funny you should mention it... my Klipsch-o-phile buddy that started me down this path is a VERY sophisticated analog electronics fan (actually has a Stereo 70 also) and said the same thing... He also warned to look for possibly bridged point-to-point wiring, as the old vinyl insulation can flow if there is a pressure point, crossing another wire or piece of structure.

Borrowed from another co-worker:

post-25799-13819348882348_thumb.jpg

I recently spoke with some folks about cycling. It seems that unless you have the latest gear, you risk being ostracized. Audio should not be that way.

Well said.

I'll be crawling, and I do have access to pros (and am no slouch myself IMHO ;) )

First thing will be to inspect ALL the insulation everywhere... clean sockets with de-oxit, measure caps with an in-circuit ESR meter, probably use one of the better clean-and-lube potentiometer cleaning products, all BEFORE even plugging in for the first time, which will be in the above-pictured VARIAC.