KG 2.2 and 2.5 differences

juko

Hi, I'm new here.

I have a pair of KG 3.5's and wanted a KG 2.5 as a center channel. The spec sheet shows that the KG 2.2 and 2.5 have different woofers.

How much difference in sound do you think there would be? I want as close a timbre match as possible to my 3.5's, but I'm having trouble finding 2.5's for sale. There's a 2.2 on ebay local to me that I'll consider purchasing if they are truly identical in sound.

Thanks.

Since they use the same K-86-K tweeter, then I'd say they would be very similar. If you really want a perfect match, then you need center that uses the K-84-K tweeter in your KG3.5s -- of course that'll require building/modifying a speaker. So if you're not up to that, then I would go for the KG2.2.

The woofers and timbre are different in the KG 2.5 as compared to the KG 2.2 and that is the correct center for your 3.5's they come up on eBay all the time. Get the correct center the first time. Specs won't tell you anything about how the speaker sounds in a real world environment.

Here is a black pair:

http://cgi.ebay.com/klipsch-KG-2-5-black_W0QQitemZ290171860325QQihZ019QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a oak pair:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINT-KG-2-5-KLIPSCH-SPEAKERS-W-STANDS_W0QQitemZ200162064063QQihZ010QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you have a CRT based television all you have to do is attach the bucking magnets to the woofers to minimize the magnetic interference which is the only difference between the KG 2.5 and 2.5V.

The center speaker is the most important one in your HT so you want to make sure you use the correct matching one.

Frzninvt,

So if the KG2.2 isn't timbre matched to the KG3.5 then just what is it timbre matched to? I suspect you'll claim the KG3.2s. Are you aware the KG3.2 and KG3.5 use the exact same woofer and tweeter? So that would make the KG2.2 just as compatible with the KG3.5 and th KG3.2. Just because the KG2.2 and KG2.5 have different woofers, it doesn't mean they don't have the same timbre. The change in driver model could have been made for reasons other than changing the timbre (like they switched suppliers). So I stand by my claim that the KG2.2 center would be equally as good of a match for his KG3.5s (as KG2.5 center).

I did just noticed that although the KG2.2 and KG2.5 use the same K-86-K tweeter, the dome material is different. I had forgotten that the x.5 models use a poly dome while the x.2 models use a phenolic dome. That said, since you can get the KG2.2 locally (and avoid shipping charges and possible shipping damage) then I still suggest getting it. Then if you really want the tweeter to match the best it can, order a replacement poly dome from Klipsch for $25 (call 1-800-KLIPSCH). Swapping the tweeter dome is a very easy thing that literally 2 minutes to do, and it take no special tools or know-how. And since the phenolic domes are no longer available from Klipsch, you can probably find someone around here who would buy it from you.

Thanks for the replies. That was very informative. So not all of the KG family necessarily go together?

It's probably not possible for me right now, but there are a pair of KG 3.5 's and 4.5's on ebay that are a 3-4 hour drive from me. $350 for the 4 speakers seems like a steal if I were to pick them up. Do the KG 4.5's match the 3.5's? I see that the 4.5's and 5.5's have the same tweeter, but they're different from the 3.5's. At the same time, both the 2.5 and 3.3's have different tweeters, but are a good match. I guess I'm curious because the spec sheet only shows the KG 1.5 and 2.5 for the 4.5 and 5.5.

Maybe I shouldn't put too much faith into the spec sheet since it also lists the KV-2 center channel as matching the KG line, when quite a few of the forum members say that it sounds distinctly different from the KG family.

I'm using KG5.5s mains up front with KG3.25s* for rears, and I think the work very well together. I used to have a KV3 for the center, but found it couldn't really keep up with my KG5.5s. So I made a custom center that uses a K-85-K horn tweeter and four 6.5" Klipsch woofers.

* Note there really is no such thing as a KG3.25, but I call them that because they are KG3.2s with the passive radiators replaced with ports; they are also in new custom enclosures that fit perfectly in my built-in bookshelves. I may have swapped the textile domes for poly ones, but I'm not sure if I ever actually did that.

The KLF-C7 would be great if one had KLF-10, 20, or 30s. I've heard of people trying it with large KG speakers (like my 5.5s) but from what I understand it isn't really timbre matched (but it does do a better job of "keeping up" with the large KGs than the KV-3 or KG-2.x).

What do you think about picking up the pair of 3.5 and 4.5's off ebay and using the 4.5 as mains? I'm a noobie to the audiophile world, but redtop's(horned's) method/review of modding a KG 3.5's as a center channel seems intriguing. You just need to buy another piece of mdf and cut the holes for the woofers and ports, correct? I'm pretty sure I can add the bucking magnets. It's slightly out of my budget, but I'm seriously considering this. I know I'm getting greedy, but $350 for a pair of KG 3.5's and 4.5's is a really good deal, no?

How do people have a rear center channel? Does that depend on the type of receiver? I'm thinking about this as a 6.0 setup with KG 3.5's as rear surround and 1 as a front and rear center channel, and with KG 4.5's as mains. I'm not planning on getting a sub yet, as these should be able to hit low enough frequency for me.

I'm thinking about using this setup with a Onkyo tx-sr505 since I'm on a budget. I'm sure I'll upgrade receivers later, but can this receiver do a rear center channel? I thought 7.1's were just center, front pair, side pair, and rear pair of speakers, but I just recently saw members with a rear center channel.

Any tips? Any recommendations on another budget receiver? Timbre match should be ok between the KG 3.5 and 4.5's?

The timbre match should be good between the KG3.5 and KG4.5, but it's keep in mind that the optimum setup is if you exactly the same speakers for all three front speakers. I couldn't quite do that, but I came very close since all three of my front speakers use the same K-85-K horn. I would suggest checking closed auction prices on eBay to see what KG3.5s and 4.5s are going for to really get an idea if that's a good price, but being that you wouldn't have to pay to ship them I suspect it is. You still might see if he would come down $50. Unless you have a really large (and/or wide) room then I wouldn't bother with 7.1 or 6.1. For most HT setups in homes it is truly worthless overkill.