Articles: Voigt in Gramophone

WMcD

Attached, for your consideration, is a collection of articles (some quite brief) regarding the Voigt / tractrix horn which appeared in Gramophone magazine (London) between 1933 and 1937.

The author of most is Percy Wilson. He is mentioned in an article posted some years ago, "An Interview with PGAH Voigt" by Bruce Edgar. He states, "Percy Wilson was one of the most outstanding and venerable of English authorities and a horn enthusiast . . . ."

The sequence of articles reflect a bit of puzzlement with Voigts use of the tractrix curve and a growing respect for the merits of the two Voigt speakers.

It is interesting to real how the 1930s resemble the present day. Consider the description of the horn sound and benefits. But only the English could use the phrase, "forwardness and virility of the treble."

Also included is a story of Percys adventure with a non-Voigt horn facing out toward his tennis lawn. " . . . a neighbor complained to me that the sound was disturbingly loud (which is a mild paraphrase of the actual words used) at a distance of 100 yards . . ."

We also have a review of 1938 "New Large Screen [TV] receivers." One is a front projector.

In the matter of a standards for the system: " . . the Postmaster - General had announced that the transmissions from Alexandra Palace would remain substantial the same for at least the next three years. This ensures that present-day receivers will not become obsolete or require serious modifications for some considerable time." "However, as we have said before, the technical standards of transmission and of reception of little import at present compared with the comparative mediocrity of the programmes presented."

There are also advertisements for the Voigt speakers. They always seem to be placed next to: "Hushatone, the silent loud speaker."

Lastly, there will be a public demonstration of the Voigt in Manchester, October 5th to 8th inclusive [1938], in the concert room at Messers. Forsyths 126/8 Deansgate. "Owing to the overhead tram wire junctions nearby, radio interference is high and records will frequently be used, particularly in the afternoon. . .. . Bring a test record you know well, and we will be pleased to play it during the afternoon."

WMcD

Voight in Gramophone.pdf

Attached, for your consideration, is a collection of articles (some quite brief) regarding the Voigt / tractrix horn which appeared in Gramophone magazine (London) between 1933 and 1937.

The author of most is Percy Wilson. He is mentioned in an article posted some years ago, "An Interview with PGAH Voigt" by Bruce Edgar. He states, "Percy Wilson was one of the most outstanding and venerable of English authorities and a horn enthusiast . . . ."

The sequence of articles reflect a bit of puzzlement with Voigts use of the tractrix curve and a growing respect for the merits of the two Voigt speakers.

It is interesting to real how the 1930s resemble the present day. Consider the description of the horn sound and benefits. But only the English could use the phrase, "forwardness and virility of the treble."

Also included is a story of Percys adventure with a non-Voigt horn facing out toward his tennis lawn. " . . . a neighbor complained to me that the sound was disturbingly loud (which is a mild paraphrase of the actual words used) at a distance of 100 yards . . ."

We also have a review of 1938 "New Large Screen [TV] receivers." One is a front projector.

In the matter of a standards for the system: " . . the Postmaster - General had announced that the transmissions from Alexandra Palace would remain substantial the same for at least the next three years. This ensures that present-day receivers will not become obsolete or require serious modifications for some considerable time." "However, as we have said before, the technical standards of transmission and of reception of little import at present compared with the comparative mediocrity of the programmes presented."

There are also advertisements for the Voigt speakers. They always seem to be placed next to: "Hushatone, the silent loud speaker."

Lastly, there will be a public demonstration of the Voigt in Manchester, October 5th to 8th inclusive [1938], in the concert room at Messers. Forsyths 126/8 Deansgate. "Owing to the overhead tram wire junctions nearby, radio interference is high and records will frequently be used, particularly in the afternoon. . .. . Bring a test record you know well, and we will be pleased to play it during the afternoon."

WMcD

Thank you so much for posting this information. I mentioned to Jim Hunter on his blog about the difficulty I have had finding Voigt info and he posted some great info as well. It is great to see information about Voigt being posted on the forums as more people should know about his contributions. I read an article about Voigt written after his death and PWK was quoted as saying that he wished they had met because they could have been friends.  

Thanks again I'll read it tonight..

Thank you Gil! This is a gem. I love the way the Brits write, especially old-school material like this. One sentence from the May 1936 issue, p.510, Column 2, really stands out:

"The first [feature leading to an impression] is that the bass notes do not carry on too long, as is often the case with moving-coil speakers, and consequently there is no masking effect; a most desirable quality"

This is the same effect I noticed after the first few weeks of listening to Corns. In particular, I noticed that the "tail" of transients was cleanly reproduced until inaudibility instead of falling into muddle. Bass was crisp (that PRAT that the high-end mags PRATtle on about) compared to many other closed box and vented systems; of course, it is even better when horn-loaded. Paul was fond of saying that his horn-loaded speakers allowed the "inner voices" of music to be heard. It is interesting to see this effect was being noted by reviewers seven decades ago, and a full 12 years before the Klipschorn entered mass production. I highly recommend the Voigt articles that Bruce Edgar wrote for Speaker Builder in the early 80s for a comprehensive view of Voigt and his horn's place in the pantheon of great designs.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/permalink/713807/712061/ShowThread.aspx#712061

There is the link to the three articles by Bruce Edgar regarding Voigt and the tractrix.

You might notice that I used his bibliography to identify the Gramophone articles. Several weeks ago I noticed that Chicago Public Library has Gramophone, from 1932, on microfilm. What I posted is not a very good image because I had to print off the microfilm. OTOH it is fortunate that the microfilm is there in the first place.

Wm Gil McD

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/permalink/713807/712061/ShowThread.aspx#712061

There is the link to the three articles by Bruce Edgar regarding Voigt and the tractrix.

You might notice that I used his bibliography to identify the Gramophone articles. Several weeks ago I noticed that Chicago Public Library has Gramophone, from 1932, on microfilm. What I posted is not a very good image because I had to print off the microfilm. OTOH it is fortunate that the microfilm is there in the first place.

Wm Gil McD

Some of it is difficult to read but I don't mind. I am happy to just have a copy. Thanks again!