good starter tube amp for a pair of cornwalls?

Shodrewken

First of all, wow! thanks everyone for your replies I do appreciate it. And sorry for not getting back to ya'll sooner, work was crazy yesterday, and school is kicking my butt this semester, so my "me" time has been shortened considerably. Anyway, to answer NOSValaves question, I already have a Yamaha RX-V1700 thats powering my cornwalls , ( would I just hook up the tube amp to it? ) or would I just keep it as a separate unit? I'm a pretty hardcore newb when it comes to all this audio equipment so sorry for my ignorance in advance. Once I have some cash I can play with I'm looking at $300 max for my starter tube amp.

Thanks again everyone,

Andrew

Andrew,

It would mean some switching, but you'd want to use the tube amp to drive your Cornwalls when you are in the mood for classic two channel music. Then when your back in HT surround mood use your Yamaha.

If you keep your CDP for two channel hooked up to your tube amp, and your DVD hooked up to your Yamaha, then simple amp/speaker switch would be quite convenient. You'd have essentially two systems sharing a single pair of CW's. That would be pretty handy to switch and NOT deal with handling speaker wire and connectors.

Andrew,

It would mean some switching, but you'd want to use the tube amp to drive your Cornwalls when you are in the mood for classic two channel music. Then when your back in HT surround mood use your Yamaha.

If you keep your CDP for two channel hooked up to your tube amp, and your DVD hooked up to your Yamaha, then simple amp/speaker switch would be quite convenient. You'd have essentially two systems sharing a single pair of CW's. That would be pretty handy to switch and NOT deal with handling speaker wire and connectors.

My CD player goes ; Analog 2 channel to my Scott with rca cables, and a Optical Digital hook-up to my Yamaha HTR, one player to feed both, same with my Sub Woofer, single line Left to the Scott, and single line right to my Yamaha, sub works with both units, no switch boxes ......... Works for me

• 1 month later...

I have similar vintage Cornwalls and just got my first tube amp. WOW what an improvement in sound! I was looking for a reasonably priced "starter" since I dind't know if I would like the tubes. Several sites including this forum suggested a Jolida tube amp. Spoke to some knowledgeable Jolida folks and they recommended the 302. Seems the EL34 tubes are a good match with Cornwalls. The current model is 302B. I was able to get an older model 302A on Audiogon for under 400.00 and they also come up on ebay with regularity. I love this amp! Plenty of power and good bass too. Gets universally rave reviews on sites that do that stuff.

Good luck. Your Cornwalls will sound new and improved.