Mountings RS-7s

chickey

The wife surprised me for Christmas this year apparently shes been reading over my shoulder as Ive scanned these boards, and as a result a brand new pair of RS-7s appeared under the tree. Very cool!

Now the job of mounting these bad boys. They are heavy (24 lbs. each)!! Since my room configuration restricts me from mounting them at the recommended height (approx. 6 feet), Ill need to mount them about 7 feet high and angle them down. I know this is not ideal, but hopefully it shouldnt impact the sound too much.

I spoke with the good folks at Omnimount, but using the brackets needed to support this weight would require me to drill holes into the back of the speakers (no way). After scanning the board archives, I have seen various recommendations for using plywood and other work-arounds to utilize the Omnimount brackets in conjunction with the keyhole fittings on these speakers. Does anyone know of any other bracket manufacturers that can directly accommodate a keyhole fitting in this weight range?

Thanks,

Colin (aka Chickey)

First off seven feet should not be a problem at all, and I would not angle them down since they provide a difused soundstage. As far as mounting them, I am not familiar with the back of these speakers, but if they are like my KSP-S6s and KSF-S5s they have keyways for screws that will accept #12 wood screws. I have them(the screws) mounted into plastic anchors into plaster. If going into sheetrock I might use a toggle bolt. Another option would be to try to get the screws into studs. My KSPs are rock solid on the wall. Best placement would be just to the left and right of your primary listening position.

Happy hanging.

Someone here posted a picture about a year ago whereas they used a thin piece of wood on the back of RS-3's with screwheads in the keyhole slots and thru the wood, with the brackets(see link)mounted to the wood and the brackets ceiling mounted.Check it out.Might give you some ideas.BTW,I looked around the net and couldn't find a cheaper price on these particlar mounts.Also,might check the Utility Hardware mounts from Omnimount.Good luck. http://www.electronicaccessory.com/mall/bkspe.asp

Keith

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 12-31-2001 at 04:39 PM

aab3rd - Thanks for the suggestions! I'm toying with seeing if I can hit the studs, and at the same time limit the number of new holes I have to make. I have an old pair of Klipsch Rebels with their own brackets currently mounted for surrounds, but there's no way these existing brackets can support the RS-7s. I believe the keyhole configuration is similar to the KSP-S6s and KSF-S5s, and if I don't have to angle them down, all the better.

UP - Yep, she indulges me and my Klipsch habit. When I mentioned that I wanted to do 7.1 surround in our next house, her response was "Cool." This from a woman who has endured living with my Chorus II's and KLF-C7 smack dab in the middle of our little townhouse, along with various amps, preamps, processors, etc. Of course, she has some expensive hobbies as well and expects full reciprocity (as she should).

Thanks again,

Chickey cwm12.gif

Bummer...

Just got the specs for the Vantange Point ceiling mounting kit (BTW, these folks were super helpful). It would have been the perfect solution for mounting my RS-7's, but the accompanying mounting plate doesn't accommodate the wide keyhole spacing on the back of the RS-7's. Ditto for anything that OmniMount sells.

Back to the drawing board. I might have to go to the local junior high and take a refresher class in metal working...

C

cwm14.gif

------------------

My System

Take the screws out of the keyhole brackets,go buy more 1/2" or so longer.Get piece of 3/8" plywood (or check molding dept.at Home Depot for 1/2" solid wood) approximately 4"X6" and screw to key hole bracket holes.Attach bracket such as the Vantage Point to the wood piece on speaker back.Paint yellow,or whatever color you prefer.Might work!

Keith

Keith,

Sounds like a plan. I'll give it a shot. Really surprised that no one sells these stock - would seem to be a no brainer, but perhaps the Klipsch keyhole spacing is wider than most.

Really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Colin

------------------

My System